Return to Website

DumpValve Public Message Board

Welcome to the section of the World that allows you to interact and communicate with DumpValve, and other visitors to this site.

DumpValve Public Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

I don't think it's a case of them being f**king idiots. I think it's down to them not getting any younger and perhaps simply running out of ideas, this was also reflected in the unbalanced nature of the last release, seven. Live energy can only carry you so far, and i think as a creative collective they have run the course. Knowing Hull bands the various members will reappear soon enough as part of other projects anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

thought i'd mindlessly plug my myspace profile here too :p (in case you didn't see it in the header: www.myspace.com/silk0)

oh, and i don't know exactly how long the above email will be available either, so if you don't know my personal one by then, you can't contact me er.. unless, you have myspace - duh!

anyway, to the point in hand:

i'd like to say that that it was definately NOT the music that was the problem. in fact, we were going through a perioid of writing when we split. a couple of new songs were on the way too. basically, the band as people had too different personalities and beliefs that it was unable to continue - nothing at all to do with creativity.

you really think Seven was unbalanced? in what way? i'm curious, that's all. the majority of the album is full band songs with extra tracks. nothing wrong with that is there? plus, we like lots of different types of music too. why unbalanced? are you the type of person that gets upset if all the album doesn't sound the same all the way through? i can name bands that do this well and some that don't. depends what you want. we were not about being a specific type of band. we were writing what came out of us at the time.

i'd also like to add that i, for one - and i know there are others too, am not running out of ideas - far from it! i'm getting to the point where i'm getting so many, i'm having trouble remembering them all! plus, funny you should use the word "project" there

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

Hi. I felt seven was too long and perhaps tried to cover too many bases musically. For me it varies between genius and mediocrity too much. I perhaps thought this stemmed from too many different influences within the band, although as I said it's not my band so I'm not dealing in facts. I just get the impression that maybe you were split between making heavy music and taking the band in a more melodic / rock direction (sorry, that sounds like you were planning to make chaft friendly soft crap, but you see what I'm saying). I'm sorry you have split up but I think you will all resurface at some point.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

to be honest this was coming for a while.i think peoples music tastes have changed dramtically as a whole since dumpvalve were popular,i.e the limp bizkit days,nu-metal etc etc.seven was barely even an average album,dont take this personally,i think to be in a band creating music you need the abilty to accept criticism in equal measures as praise.dumpvalve missed there opportunity wen they had the chance 3-4 years ago an now there music sounds dated and behind the times,while all around them there are bands evolving and changing there approach.
peace

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

Hey all. Just happened to have a nosy on our dear old forum and noticed an actual discussion!!! It's been a while so I thought I'd throw in my own 2 cents worth! It's just a pity it's on the subject of us splitting up eh!

Had an awesome time playing in this band and over the 5 years of being together we definitely progressed and explored different areas of the rock/metal spectrum. For us it was a big melting pot of influences and styles that created each individual way that we play and write music. With this approach there was always going be people who liked some songs and not others because we didn’t always stick to a certain style, but it was never our intention to please any specific target audience in terms of style and genre, but to only please ourselves! We accepted that different members of the band liked different types of music and we would of rather combined our efforts to produce music that we were all happy with. We did, however, always put 100% in playing our songs live so that people could appreciate what we did!

I am always happy to receive constructed criticism… but where was it? Who are you to speak about the public in such a general way; surely you can only give your personal view on this subject. Doh!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

hey, well said ! I don't care what anybody says DumpValve were an amazing band made up of 4 excellent musicians who I hope will go on to do other things and I think they will leave a massive hole in the Hull music scene which no one will fill for a long time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumpvalve Split!

1 fing i noticed was that the stuff they did ages ago was so wildlie diffrent 2there last stuff. how can you say they dint ivolve!