The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Maybe if I put this up where lots of people can see it....
...I'll be more motivated to stick to the diet. It IS working...and this thing is supposed to change every time I weigh in: MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools
Views: 186   Replies: 19
Last Post: Jul 14, 2013 4:00pm
by Horace
Thanks Cubby
As a Country, we remain stupidly oblivious to our own “ignorant” actions… as the world (notably Canada in this instance, below) laughs at us. The irony of our collective ignorance, is staggering… God help us back to Commons...
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 10:58am
by Lathan #11
Sounds of Silence
The Silence on the Forum is Deafening...Listen Closely-----
Views: 118   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 10, 2013 9:19pm
by Lathan #11
Fifties at Five
Check out the Fifties at Five -- Facebook page. Bobby G goes back to the 50's with something that took place on that date in Sylacauga . And then tune in to WYEA.net on line, on your smartphone or tablet to hear what happened on that date every day on the Fiftie...
Views: 120   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 6:10pm
by Bobby G
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 3, 2013 1:38pm
by Jim Holmes
Fifties at Five
Today on the Fifties at Five with Bobby G a special edition with a three-part interview about the iconic Mae Bell Marbery. ON AIR at WYEA AM 1290 and ON THE GO on your computer, laptop, tablet and smart phone at WYEA.NET. (Just go to WYEA.NET and click on the list...
Views: 154   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 3, 2013 12:29pm
by Jim Holmes
Might as well admit it....
As a born and bred (whatever that means) Southerner, I'm automatically "RACIST!" to lots of folks, so I figure I might just as well admit it:
Views: 112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 2, 2013 7:08pm
by Jim Holmes
My NEW all-time favorite joke!
A six-year-old and a four-year-old are raking the yard. The six-year-old says, "You know what? I think it's about time we started learning to cuss." The four-year-old nods his head in approval, and the six-year-old continues: "When we go in for breakfast, I'm...
Views: 151   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 2, 2013 4:30pm
by Jim Holmes
More or Less
WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY! *Our Phones ~ Wireless *Cooking ~ Fireless *Cars ~ Keyless *Food ~ Fatless *Tires ~ Tubeless...
Views: 129   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 1, 2013 4:41pm
by Jim Holmes
"New Looks from an Old Lover"
DAY-yum, that's good music! Thankee, Lathan!
Views: 133   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 1, 2013 1:40pm
by Jim Holmes
Thoughts
Thoughts As I was lying around, pondering the problems of the world, I realized that at my age I don't really care anymore. ..If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal. .. A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, but i...
Views: 178   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jul 1, 2013 8:03am
by Chuck Jones
Supreme Court Upholds Gay Marriage
Call me an Old-Fashioned Christian but I believe the Bible is the "Living" Word and I can't find on any page where it says that Gays being Married is sanctioned by GOD. I almost believe it says Marriage is between One Man and One Woman (I'll check). When we all co...
Views: 135   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 29, 2013 5:49pm
by Jim Holmes
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 7:09pm
by Jim Holmes
MAE BELL
Please note I have corrected my spelling of "Mae Bell" I found her obituary today in the newspaper. For the records her name was Mae Bell Marbery. Don't forget to tune in to the Fifties at Five with Bobby G on Monday July 1st at 5pm for a special show on Mae Bell....
Views: 156   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 4:15pm
by Jim Holmes
Maybelle
On a special edition of The Fifties at Five with Bobby G on Monday, July 1st, I will be talking with Maybelles nephew. The show is ON THE AIR at WYEA 1290 AM and ON LINE at WYEA.NET. LISTEN AGAIN.
Views: 124   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 2:51pm
by Don Stephens
Marble City Cemetery
Went through Sylacauga two weeks ago headed to PC for a vacation and decided to stop at the Cemetery to see my grand dads and grand mothers burial sites and write down the dates of their births and passing. To my surprise a historical marker had been placed at the e...
Views: 131   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 2:38pm
by Don Stephens
MVB
A "true" MVB and an infrequent poster on the Connection has passed away. SHERRELL FRANKLIN HAMILTON's obit is in today's Daily Home. RIP Sherrell and Thank You for your service to our country. Hand SALUTE! Chuck
Views: 128   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 27, 2013 8:56am
by Jim Holmes
TWINKIES
This just in..TWINKIES return to the shelves of your favorite store. QUESTION: How many of you would walk up to the counter at a store and say,"I'd like a TWINKIE,please"?
Views: 144   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 27, 2013 6:42am
by Horace
Quit trashingPresident Obama
> He has an impressive list of accomplishments (FIRST'S)! > > First President to apply for college aid as a foreign student, then deny > he was a foreigner. > > First President to have a social security number from a state he has never lived in. > > Firs...
Views: 158   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 25, 2013 2:23pm
by Jim Holmes
Rail Roading of George Zimmerman to begin today
Well, people will see George Zimmerman become another sacrificial lamb for the destruction of gun rights and the ability to protect yourself under the "stand your ground law". Poor George..why doesn't the media, including fox, show and tell what Travon Martin really...
Views: 132   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 11:07pm
by Lathan #11
h
Horace
What's all the fuss about?
Paula Deen and Gandolfini...has so little ever in the anals of history received so much attention...Y'all? Is there nothing important to occupy our minds? Horace
Views: 121   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 10:57pm
by Jim Holmes
Views: 99   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2013 10:29pm
by Jim Holmes
Well, I finally got up the nerve and the cash to have a facelift!
Thank goodness they've developed "Do it yourself" kits! Whatcha'think?
Views: 155   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 23, 2013 4:46pm
by Don Stephens
News about Brother Jerry
My brother Jerry called me this morning from UT Medical Center in Knoxville, where he had heart surgery two days ago to take out his pacemaker and treat a staph infection. Sounded perfectly natural. We laughed and joked around for fifteen minutes. He's been there n...
Views: 116   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 3:46pm
by Lathan #11
h
Horace
Goodbye Slim!
Just saw where we lost a great one...his music was unique and loved by many. Slim Whitman at age 90-. Horace
Views: 114   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 2:01pm
by Lathan #11
h
Horace
Somebody help me!!!! Please
WHAT THE HECK IS A US PERSON??? Citizen/Citizens I am familiar with because I is one....Could it have anything to do with what the jocks on XERF used to call the Silvery Rio Grande? I say USED to call, because I lived about 10 minutes north of it for a year in 1991-...
Views: 115   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 20, 2013 12:43pm
by Jim Holmes
Order Before MIdnight!!
Friends,how many times have you wished you had a genuine leather bound Bible with the words of Jesus in red? We think Jesus always talked in red. If you act without delay,this great offer can be yours for just $19.95..if you lived next door to a Bible Factory,you c...
Views: 143   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 17, 2013 8:39pm
by Jim Holmes
I LOVE TEXAS
A young Texan grew up wanting to be a lawman. He grew up big, 6' 2", strong as a longhorn, and fast as mustang. He could shoot a bottle cap tossed in the air at 40 paces. When he finally came of age, he applied to where he had only dreamed of working:...
Views: 100   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2013 11:50pm
by Lathan #11
Order Lathan's Book About NASHVILLE
If you like, you can order my new book titled: (Once Upon A Time) THERE WAS A TAVERN. You can order one or more from me for $21.95 (each). That includes postage. We usually put allow 4-6 weeks for delivery - but, we are almost certain we can have them for you soo...
Views: 106   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 15, 2013 8:50pm
by Lathan #11
Who'd 'a thunk it?
How many of you born in 1943 would have predicted this? White majority gone by 2043
Views: 191   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 3:31pm
by Lathan #11
A question for Theron...
Do you --- or anyone else, for that matter --- remember a black man who had a thin-line scar all the way around his bald head? I didn't realize until years later that he must have had a lobotomy. I just remember as a child asking him about the scar and his happily...
Views: 124   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 3:25pm
by Lathan #11
Something absolutely BEAUTIFUL to think about....hear...and look at...
Cubby sent this to me....made me cry, so now it's your turn: Grandpa, Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days
Views: 126   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 3:22pm
by Lathan #11
h
Horace
Something else to think about
Did it ever cross your mind when we were living the good life of an Avondale family that the day would come when a parcel of "Former Avondale" property would be declared a "Public Nuisance"? Well, it happened yesterday in Pell City when the folks in charge there mad...
Views: 109   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 2:31pm
by Cubby
Jimmy Holme's Book
If you haven't ordered a copy of Jimmy Holme's book LIFE COULD BE A DREAM then you're missing out on some fun (weird) reading. We all knew the boy (Jimmy) was a bit strange but this book is 100% Proof (pruef as in alcohol). I couldn't put it down and I'm betting...
Views: 121   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 13, 2013 4:03pm
by Jim Holmes
Maybe a great adventure...
So far I have approval from my family doctor, my cardiologist, my endocrinologist and the surgeon who will eventually do the job to have the "gastric sleeve" surgery. Not sure when yet, as "New Dimensions Weight Loss" makes patients jump through dozens of hoops on th...
Views: 166   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 9, 2013 8:40pm
by Lathan #11
How 'bout signing my good buddy, Rufus Lipscomb's petition...please?
CHARGE ANY GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL WHO ADVOCATES DENIAL OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS WITH TREASON
Views: 126   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 9, 2013 12:38pm
by Jim Holmes
Divorce
DIVORCE AGREEMENT-- WRITTEN BY YOUNG COLLEGE STUDENT The person who wrote this is a college (law) student. Perhaps there is hope for us after all. DIVORCE AGREEMENT THIS IS SO INCREDIBLY WELL PUT AND I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT'S BY A YOUNG PERSON, A STUDENT...
Views: 124   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2013 5:11pm
by Jimmy House
Jerry Hardy
Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'Dairyland's' Jerry Hardy? I really like Jerry and haven't heard from him in a while
Views: 132   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 8, 2013 1:15pm
by Jim Holmes
Views: 97   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2013 8:35pm
by Jim Holmes
Big Brother Attack by: Lathan
Since we're being spied upon by "Big Brother" through our phone calls and emails, I figured out a way to drive 'him' crazy. When you are emailing your friends, or, when you're on the phone - just arbitrarily utter one or two of these phrases - Or, put these phrases a...
Views: 108   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2013 10:01am
by Lathan #11
Anniversary
Today is Rita's 36th anniversary being married to me. First,please note she is much younger than I. She is also much wiser and smarter,too..but,I don't bring that up very much. If I wrote a book about our 36 years together,I think it would outsell Jim Holmes or...
Views: 121   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 7, 2013 9:42am
by Horace
TROPICAL STORM
Lathium, Light the hurricane lamp and sit tight. Wish I were there to watch the surf swell and see the pounding rain.
Views: 113   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 6, 2013 3:11pm
by Lathan #11
Anybody here had FBI/Homeland Security Virus?
I've heard from folks around the country about this thing, so I just did a complete backup of my system (ANOTHER one, that is!) AND created ANOTHER "System Restore" point on my Win8 machine so as to make it easier to clean this fantastically expensive piece of junk u...
Views: 165   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jun 2, 2013 10:14am
by Jim Holmes
Anybody remember Ed McCullough?
Ed lived in one of the two houses on Alabama Avenue in the same block (I believe) as the General Office building. His house faced Alabama Avenue, though, and the concrete ditch was right in front. Ed went to Sylacauga High, I think (He was probably three years...
Views: 211   Replies: 18
Last Post: May 27, 2013 2:47pm
by Jimmy Persons
Graduation
Jimmy and myself just got back, this afternoon from Smyrna.Ga. where we attended our Grandson Matthew's High School graduation from Campbell High School. They had 500 in the class. It was long but very much worth the time spent. He is our son, Scott and Janets olde...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 25, 2013 8:35pm
by Charlotte Perso...
I am NOT "peddling my wares," but.....
...I am sort of proud that I've been able to figure out enough website stuff that I was able (after several hours) to add a new page to my site, so please just take a look: MY BOOKS
Views: 133   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 25, 2013 6:45pm
by Horace
MillVillage Buddies
Just listened to the song by Lathan...MillVillage Buddies.......boy did the goose bumps come up...it is worth a listening to ever so often to let us know how we were blessed to have been a part of all of it......Thanks Lathan, I'm one proud aunt.
Views: 128   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2013 9:42pm
by Lathan #11
h
Horace
Sylacauga
saw the piece onTravel Channel last night. Too bad they didn't talk to anybody from Sylacauga. Who was the guy they had and where is the Black Belt Museum? Seemed to be more about cold war fears than about Sylacauga, I do like the sculpture. Theron, is there an...
Views: 186   Replies: 16
Last Post: May 21, 2013 9:32pm
by Jim Holmes
Obama's Lost His "TALL"
There used to be a saying in Nashville that when someone lost all their credibility people would invariably say "He's lost his 'Tall'". Meaning he doesn't stand "TALL" in the community. Well..."Obama has Lost His TALL" and as far as I'm concerned he will never get...
Views: 135   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 18, 2013 8:43am
by Jim Holmes
Burfey Dean
Just read a post, on Facebook from Bobby Walker, that Bufrey Dean has passed away. Earlier post by Bobby said that he was having heart problems. Bobby Rogers posted that he was to have stints today.
Views: 128   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 16, 2013 5:02am
by Karen Dean Maddo...
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15