General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Greatest Football Game Ever Played

Geez, I thought the greatest game ever played was my junior year at BBC when we had 19 players dressed and Jacksonville took up half the entire football field to warm up.(Morris Higginbotham, head coach) We (BBC) won 44-12, with the craziest beginning of a game I have ever witnessed or been a part of. On the opening kickoff Jack Bennett and Earl Hatchett, trying the old reverse handoff fumbled the ball on Comer's 20 yard line and a Jacksonville player picked it up and ran for a touchdown. 8 seconds off the time clock and the score Jax 6 Comer 0. Jacksonville kicks off again and BBC runs it back to the 20 yard line. First play from Scrimmage, Layton hits Jack Bennett for an 80 yard touchdown pass. 23 seconds off the clock, score BBC 7 Jax 6.
BBC kicks off, Jacksonville runs it back to the 28 yard line. On Jacksonville's first play, they run an option down the line and the QB pitches back to a runner when Rodney Aderholt intercepts it and runs it down to the 1 yard line. Next play, Dale Layton sneaks it over for a TD. 58 seconds off the time clock. Score BBC 14 Jacksonville 6. (No first downs, two plays ran from scrimmage)! BBC calls time out with one second left in the half. Layton hits Bennett with a 79 yard TD bomb again. Jacksonville had less than 50 yards rushing for the entire night...

Re: Re: The Greatest Football Game Ever Played

There have been a bunch of GREATEST GAMES. I still believe that from an Underdog standpoint that this will go down as one of the guttiest performances ever. They had the ball on our 1 yard line with first and goal. Charlie Hill and Penn Hall were two big old linemen - out of shape - slow - older than most of us. They just wouldn't let 'em in or across our goal line.
I remember players coming off the field, throwing up, grabbing their headgear and going back in the game. It was a serious gut-check. I intercepted a pass on our 10 yard line with the whole field in front of me and got so excited that I fell down. A true, true story

Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Football Game Ever Played

Lathan, I don't know if you knew it or not, but Charlie Hill died last year. I think he had cancer. Thought you might want to know. unk Paul

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Football Game Ever Played

I really liked Charlie. I remember him making two or three consecutive stops in that game on the goal line. So sorry to hear about him.