VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Best ever

ES Posted -
Greatest indiviual effort; This would be a three way tie between Ted Price, Dean and Dale Layton, all three had Heart. You'd have to include your brother "Little" Paul in a game against (I think it was) Tallassee his senior year. I don't think he scored in that game, but he ran up and down the field and put Comer in scoring position time after time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best ever

You left out the 'roughest team.' And I think it was the best team. I know I wouldn't have wanted to play them. Ed Cleveland's senior year. Heck, the mafia wouldn't have messed with those guys. Ed Cleveland, Bobby Hudgins, Gerald Foster, Randall Ray, Bobby Fitzimmons, Ted Price, Roger Cooper, Ike Haynes, Bobby Bolton, Ed 'Coot' King, Ivy Clifton, Gary Howell, BoBo Milner, Mickey Teel, The Davenport boys, and a few others I can't name. What a collection of football players!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best ever

Purvis Walker, Buddy Nelson, Bobby Peters, Paul Glosson...There's more

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best ever

Sorry 'bout that...it's too early in the morning...
How could I forget those guys?! Purvis even scored 3 touchdowns against C'burg one afternoon (which makes it even more surprising a C'burg beauty married him). Pound for pound, little Paul was/is as tough as they come.
I left out Slick Nelson, too. Charles Bradford. Bobby 'Goob' Peters belongs in there too. Ronnie Maddox, Skinny Walker are others. Wait a minute, "Big Shot" Sims, who took out a whole C'burg sideline one afternoon (also took out the Comer running back). I saw it with my own bloodshot eyes...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best ever

Actually, there are several Comer teams that could go under the category as the best. I guess they need to be separated by decades, or something. I think Comer's 1939 team went undefeated, or lost only one game to Sidney Lanier of Montgomery. Troy 'Trigger' Deason was the QB and led the nation in passing accuracy, according to reports. Carl Mims was on that team.

A few years ago a Comer team played for the Alabama State Championship against Cordovo. BBC lost the game 6-0 in a driving rain storm. The game should never have been played in those conditions. BBC should have won the game, or at least tied, when a BBC player had the ball momentarily in the end zone, before a Cordova player knocked it loose. It was ruled incomplete. That team had two players to play major college ball. One went to Alabama, an end, and the other one (Marcus Knight) went to Michigan and helped them win the National Collegiate Championship. I was glad to hear Lathan's exploits in the Louisana game. He was always small, had a few medical problems, but always had a big heart, and gave 100 percent when he was on the field. Me, I was only playing sports so I might be able to get a date...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best ever

Me, I was only playing sports so I might be able to get a date...Cubby

I can't think of football practice without thinking of Cubby coming downfield pawing at me and fooling me into thinking it was a pass play. I think he didn't want to hurt me by blocking me so he 'faked' me out. I also can't think of Comer football without thinking of Camp Helen and Cubby and I stuck out in the middle of the cove on the Sailfish Sailboat (did we get engaged that night?) and Tommy Bivins 'rescuing' us because the wind had died down and Cubby screaming that we were going to get eaten by sharks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best ever

I still have nightmares about that little sailboat and getting stuck in the middle of Lake Powell, as it was called then. Thank goodness it was after that when they caught some kind of dead sea monster in some fishing nets in that lake. It was on national TV, during the 60's, when that happened. I said to myself then, "I told Lathan so..."