General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

Jimmy, Marilyn prepares hers wrapped in bacon and baked in a mushroom sauce. Maybe just a touch of cooking sherry. Some of our friends would just drank the juice.
Being raised in the 40's in Hollins, we grew and processed most of our food. Wild game was a big part of our diets. It was taken for that purpose only.
We boys could become the family hero if we came home around Thanksgiving or Christmas with a big wild turkey.

Re: Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

I remember the time Ivy, When I would bring in a rabbit or twq and Mama would skin it out, cut it up and fry it with gravy, Man! that was good eating. She also did the same with squirrel. We were eating high on the hog when we had a meal llke that.
When we moved down here everybody Deer hunted, I joined right in and killed three deer in a weekend. Only one drawback, I just couldn't eat vinison if I knew what I was eating. One night Oner fixed some, I thought, porkchops. I had ate two before I told her these are the best pork chops, Then she threw the bomb on me. It was deer t-bone steaks or back strap some people called it. I couldn't eat another bite. Now I love vinison and all my family does too. I have a grandson Lee, who is the hunter in the family and we all eat what he brings home. Some years he will kill 5 or 6 deer and we live off the meat till it runs out. But I don't care if I never kill another deer in my life, or anything else. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

That's the way it's supposed to be, Ivy. What's really terrible to me is killing just for the "joy" of killing. Didn't mean to indicate otherwise.

Re: Re: Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

I use to tell our boys when they got their first BBgun that if they killed it, they ate it. Never had any trouble. I bought plenty of targets for them to shoot at which kept them busy until the new wore off of the gun. I only have one hunter and he only kills what he eats. He can really make deer meat taste delicious. Our grandson - in-law is a gun nut. He and his dad plants fields for the dove and then has dove shoots. It's a way of life that he grew up with and he loves it. They eat the dove but I don't know if I could..........Trish and Ed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

I never knew about hunting or fishing at all and neither did my soon to be ex. My daughter fell in love with a real redkneck and she took up hunting (mostly Bambi's) It still makes me ill to think about it. They do process and eat the kill or give it to poor people. What's really bad is coon hunting and the way they train coon dogs. I just about wouldn't speak to my daughter's father-in-law for the rest of my life if I could avoid it. Daughter doesn't coon hunt! In fact she had three motherless baby coons in her bath tub when I was shocked to witness some of that training. I left speedily when I realized what was happening. There are some ignorant people in this world.

My son, Craig, comes home from Kuwait in 7 days.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

Sue, congrats on the return of your son. Know you are proud of him. My son-in-law is scheduled to go to Kuwait in January. I personally know the great feeling of coming home after several months over seas. The only thing better must be seeing your child come home. Best of luck to him.
Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AL Dove Hunters

I do wish I could personally see him. He will be going to his home at Fort Sil, OK. His family is there waiting for him. I will see, him, them before Christmas - the Good Lord willing. Thanks. If your son-in-law needs any tips about deployment let me know. I'm sure Craig is knows.