The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Too bad BBC won't have Big Shot Sims tonight...

CUBBY, CAN YOU REMEMBER THE YEAR OF THIS HISTORIC EVENT? IF IT WAS FALL OF 1955, IN CHILDERSBURG, I, TOO WAS PART OF THAT HISTORY. WELL, ME AND JOE ROPER WERE. IT WAS AN OFF WEEK I THINK FOR THE A TEAM, SO SOME OF US VARSITY SUBS WERE ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THE B TEAM GAME (THURSDAY NIGHT) (IT COULD HAVE BEEN THAT THE VARSITY PLAYED ON THAT FRIDAY ALSO). ANYWAY, JOE NEAL AND I TOUCHED THE BALL 7 TIMES AND SCORED 4 TOUCHDOWNS. I HAD 4 TOUCHES FOR 202 YARDS AND 3 SCORES. I'M NOT SURE IF BIG SHOT WAS BLOCKING ON ANY OF THOSE PLAYS, BUT I WAS RUNNING FOR MY LIFE. I HATED CONTACT. I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT I WAS A SENIOR AND WERE IT NOT FOR A GREAT RUNNING BACK BY THE NAME OF PAUL GLOSSON, I COULD HAVE BEEN THE LEFT HALFBACK ON THAT PRETTY GOOD TEAM OF 55-56. PAUL WAS 10 TIMES BETTER THAN ME AND HE ALSO USED TO BEAT ME IN MARBLES.

PURVIS

Re: Re: Too bad BBC won't have Big Shot Sims tonight...

I didn't remember that particular B team game. Maybe you should be glad Big Shot wasn't blocking for you, as he took out the Comer runner on that famous sideline play. Sounds like (excuse me, being a not as challanging graduate, I think it should read Sounds as if...)yours and Joe Neal's success should be on film also...

Re: Re: Re: Too bad BBC won't have Big Shot Sims tonight...

Are you serious about it maybe being on film? Where would I check?

Purvis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Too bad BBC won't have Big Shot Sims tonight...

Purv is hollering again. What coach should have done was alternate him and paul and let both share the glory. Don't know what it was back then of having one starter and no backup getting his feet wet. Perv was just as fast, slippery as a mountian brook trout and willing to give up his bod for a few yards. Reason he got beat in marbles was, He wouldn't get down with hard knucks on the ground and make them bleed!! MVB ES
ps If y'all find the film I want a copy. I have several 16mm cans of my boys playing back in the 70s.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too bad BBC won't have Big Shot Sims tonight...

I don't think any of the high schools were filming in 1955. It was not until Higginbotham came to BBC that we started filming games...and I understand that Dale Layton has a few old 16 mm game films..