General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mt. Vernon Baptist Church

Lathan, maybe the problem is, you are not crazy ENOUGH!
The first day I showed up at 527 North Broadway at 6:00 in the morning to learn everything there is to know about radio, Conrad Pickren had already been there for about and hour and pulled a stack of 78 RPM records, pulled and stacked in order all his commercial copy and lined up any transcriptions with Non local commercials like Faultless Starch or Hadacol and was busy ripping the UPI News wire. He looked at me and said, "So you want to get into this business?" "Yessir" was my quick reply. He just looked at me for few more seconds and said, "Well you don't have to crazy to be in this business, but it sure does help"!

Horace

Horace, You are so right. I'm sure Don feels the same way.

I used to go with some ASCAP People to visit radio stations. We went to one in Texas and they would play the 'demo' of (in this instance) a song of mine recorded by George Jones titled LEAVING LOVE ALL OVER THE PLACE. They they would follow it up with the Jones Record. It was a standing practice in parts of Texas but I've never seen it done anywhere else.

L.R. Ross played one of my songs in the late 70s when I visited him in Sylacauga. First, he would ask me if there was any "cussing" in the record. He was always very nice to me and I've always appreciated it. Good guy

I also meant to say that Chris Weber was a great friend of mine and he was one of the DJ's out on the Highway to the Waterworks. Was that WMLS or WFEB?
Is that where you worked, Horace, or was it downtown.

Chris Passed away several years ago. He was one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. I taught Chris how to "Carp" Fish under the then Cedar Creek Bridge.

Don, Didn't Melvin Coleman used to be the Pastor at Mt. Vernon? His son, Earl, used to come up to my Grandmother Glosson's house in the morning and she would cook breakfast for him.

Melvin Coleman was pastor of Mount Vernon when the church moved from the Village St. site to their present location on the Talladega Highway.

Melvin Coleman lived next door to us on Twin St. That why Earl would come to breakfast.

Melvin was married to one of the Bulger girls.

Yea, that family like the Wards gets bigger everytime I look at it...not sure which one either because I don't really know any of the girls.

Horace

He was married to Florence which was the oldest child.
Don was the youngest. There were quite a few in between the two of them.

Horace,
Did you ever figure out why they were called the Bulger Girls?

I noticed no one talks politics anymore. That's probably an okay thing but it'll be a shame when it becomes against the law to talk freely about almost anything on a forum like this.

Weather is fine in Florida

Just talked to my daughter in law...she says the kids(actually they are all adults now) are complaing because it is in the 60's in Malabar and they have to wear long sleeves and shoes.

Politics? I think I am burned out if not bured up...I can't wait to get to the voting booth...This time I could just be voting against Yobamer..again...Romney has to show me a lot more than he has to date. I still think Newt is the smartest guy in the whole bunch R or D..but his steamer trunk is getting heavier...I'm glad the Pennsylavain guy is out...not that I don't like what he stands for...I just think that in the long run he is a Sugar Ray type(light weight)...

Horace

Which Malabar?

Florida, just south of Melbourne

Horace

Thanks Marilyn, I almost forgot that you have intimate knowledge of that family. Actually I only knew of Hook and his twin and Donnie and their Dad.

Horace

Horace,
You are 110% Correct