General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gasoline Alley

Man, we are telling our age!! I loved all of these and even now, I take the comics page out to read first and then go to the "comedy of politics and life on this planet."

It always brings a smile when I realize how little we may have known about other kids that grew up during our day...but,our life experiences often paralleled
one another.

Like Jimmy,my father read comics to me while I sat on his lap. Sometimes no radio,but somehow always had the comics. He told me funny stories and silly poems and made toys out of scraps of lumber,tin cans and sling shot stocks from hickory limbs.

What wonderful things my dad may have left with me,I think his sense of humor is high on the list of my treasured memories. And,I have embraced it for a lifetime.

Jimmy,
Do You remember the song "ALLEY OOP" By the Hollywood Argyles? A Nashville friend of mine - Doodle Owen & Dallas Frazier - wrote the song when they lived in California. Gary Paxton (an infamous friend of mine) named the group from an intersection near where he lived called Hollywood Blvd & Argyle Avenue. (I had to google search some information to see if I was correct - I changed it only once - not bad for an old man with a slipping memory).

Gary Paxton was the Producer and vocalist of the song THE MONSTER MASH. A true, true story

When we lived in Sunnybrook I was in the 2nd half of first grade, Mrs. Clendenning's room then Mrs. Eubanks in 2nd grade. Daddy would come home from the mill especially in the summer time and we would sit on the front porch, just like the others him in a rocker, me in his lap...the B'ham news in his hands and he read them all to me...Remember Major Hoople? Jiggs and Maggie, Henry and all the ones already moved. Gasoline Alley seemed a might hard for my 6 year old brain to figure out...there were some might stange visuals there. After supper we'd go back out on the porch and listen to my favorite bass singer, Billy Todd, across the street sing songs of the Sons of the Pioneers like Cool Water and so much more. Who needed television?

Horace