Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Farmers Market

I don't think it cures cancer.

Horace

No, it doesn't but it surely helps the flow. You know, kind of like the streams in the foothills. Aha!

Marilyn, what do you do with Beet Greens? I never knew they were edible.

Horace

I had never eaten beet greens until I moved to upstate NY and I love them. Down south by the time the beets get developed, the greens have had too much sun and they have turned brown. You cook them like any other green and they are somewhat similiar to spinach. I was surprised to see they grew well here. A lady that is in rehab with me, shared the greens with me but not the beets. I did get a bunch with both at the market Saturday but my guess is with the heat, that will be the last of the greens as they will be parched.
Another green that I have learned to love is Swiss Chard and that was something my Mom did not grow...I was somewhat shocked when I found things that had not been in her garden.

Marilyn,I'd be careful what I ate recommended by Upstate New York folks.

They might not have known those beets were down there underground.

Don, I did have to teach them a lot of stuff.
They ate turnips but not the greens.
I cooked some meat skins one time when a friend killed his hog and then they would bring enough skins to feed King George's army....never turned them down though...I would do enough for them to sample and throw the rest of them away.
My biggest problem with a garden there was the fact they all had one so I could not give extra stuff away,. I would fill every jar I had and fill the freeze then just had to throw the rest to some of their pigs.

MMC:
Did you show your New York neighbors how to cook chittlin's?

Mot in this life!!!

I have a recipe,Marilyn.

Did you save any of those skins for Cracklin' Cornbread? If so, did you let them try it? Did you take the opportunity to share the recipe with them? Good food is sometimes wasted on Yankees.

Horace

Yes, I did treat them to the flavor. They did not at the time, eat any kind of cornbread and the meal I bought up there was like face powder (made the texture more like a cake than cornbread like we knew it.. I from then on started taking cornmeal home when I was in Alabama. At that time I used Jim Dandy.