Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Baseball question....

Sounds like they may be too young!

Cubby,
We could take that team and whup any team in the nation. We need you in Right Field. You were a Yankee in Little League (is that correct?)
Paul Glosson was one of Comer's best Catchers. Did you know he never used anything behind the place except a Catcher's Mask. No Breast Protector or Shin Guards. He said he didn't know how to put 'em on.

Coach Barton told that story every where he went. Ronnie Maddox played third base and when they would take infield Ronnie would field the ball about half-way between Home and Third and throw the ball to Paul as hard as he could. A true, true story

Rusty was a good catcher.

All those guys I mentioned before lived in Sunnybrook at some time. I'm sure there were other athletes that lived there, they just don't come to mind right now...we had some great catchers at BBC alright...
Paul Glosson, Rusty, Dale Layton, Billy Tankersley to name a few. Paul could have been the toughest ever at that position...

PLEASE!! Don't forget about Jess Tackette and Monroe Dennis,Grady Collins and others. They were all outstanding in their field.

Well I know that Monroe Dennis had a sharp knife that he use on the piglets across the creek from the cow barns in Sunnybrook....Jess Tackett...I don't know what his magic might have been...I know that his uncle George could spin a might big story down in Chilton County....he liked to tell a story about a trip to Alaska..real or imagined where he got caught in a traffic jam was held up for three days and nights while a heard of moose crossed the road...now that story circulated before I left Chilton County in 1941. Now think about it Just how many cars did it take to cause a traffic jam in the 30's in Alaska....not to mention the moose. Grady Collins tried to teach me how to sing but soon gave up.

Horace

The greatest storytellers of that whole bunch were Johnny Knox of Twin Street and Virgil Johns. Johnny used to hang out at my Uncle Grady Barton's Store and was always talking about Pickled Coon's Feet. Johnny was the father of Wayne, Jerry & Wilma Knox (they also had a little brother who became a lawyer).

I used to hunt with Johnny Knox, Virgil Johns, Jesse Tackett, Ernest Bean of Sunnybrook, and sometimes Thurmond Isbell of the street in back of Twin Street close to where Dale Layton lived. Was that Maryland Avenue?

I worked all over Georgia for a Local #474 International Union of Operating Engineers (Heavy Equipment Operator - Cranes, Bulldozers, Backhoes, etc...). Our Business agent in Savannah, Ga. was a great Coon Hunter.

I put him on the phone with Johnny Knox and Johnny sold him a Blue-Tick Hound Coon Dog over the telephone for $300.00 "sight-unseen". I drove the dog to Savannah in the back of my car from Sylacauga to Savannah - I had gotten a job in Baxley, Georgia where they were building a Nuclear Plant in 1971. My business agent said the dog was the best Coon Dog he'd ever owned or ever seen. A true, true story