General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AVONDALE DAY at CAMP HELEN

I know Jimmy, It's also opening day of football season. If I attend I'll still be close to a TV or Radio and preoccupied for about 4 hours. AU vs Clemson @ Auburn. Bound to be a good game! If some folks from home want to come down, I'll do my best to make it a good day for them too. If any of our crew here on the connection can attend, please give me a heads-up here so we can have an idea who to look for.

I'd certainly love to be there, but the "Labor Day Weekend" part of it kills it for me. I might be able to stand the thousand-mile-drive, but I bet I couldn't get a cabin at Sunnyside for thirty bucks anymore, especially at that time....and the last time I slept on the beach, I almost lost an ear to a sand crab.

It's just about healed up now, but I can't take anymore chances.

If it was not a holiday weekend I would try to get a block of rooms at a discount. Will not try on a holiday.

Someone please tell me,who was HELEN?

Never saw that name among the Comers.

Was she a mystery woman?

What was going on with Helen that she had a Camp named for her?

I really don't know, but, of course, I'll give you an answer, anyway.

Helen's full name was Helen Camp. She was the original owner, but when the papers were filed, they asked for "Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial," so she wrote "Camp, Helen NMI," and for many years after her death, the property was known as Camp Helen NMI, but when the Comers shelled out a little pocket change for the property 'WAY back before The Andalusian Era --- as my Mama always said --- they thought it meant "Camp Helen IN Michigan, so they decided to change the name to Camp Helen NFL, but the National Football League protested, so they just dropped that, and the place became known simply as "Camp Helen, Florida."

Any more questions?

I don't blame you, for sure.

There WAS a Helen in the Comer family. If you dig deep enough into the family history, she's there.
I remember reading her name once in a Comer article....

Update on Camp Helen name: Named after Helen Comer (nee Browne), who was Braxon Bragg Comer's daughter-in-law. She was married to John Fletcher Comer, one of Braxton Bragg's sons, of course....

"And,now we know the rest of the story."

Thanks.

Somebody always has to mess up a good story with facts!

Shoot!