General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Let Me Ramble If I want!

One of my best friends in Nashville and also my co-writer on some of my best songs was Red Lane. Red is from Bogalusa, Louisiana and bought Jimmy Davis' Red Caddilac. I've had the privilege to ride in that car for many miles.

Roger Sovine - Red Sovine's son was a BMI Executive in Nashville. My last year at TREE Publishing as a writer, Roger was the Vice-President of TREE and is a great friend of mine. He always called me "Lathrup" - I called him "Rodney". Good guy. I never met his father but loved his music

The Jordanaires sang background on almost all of BJ Thomas' songs of mine which he recorded - I got to meet them several times - Ray Walker, their Leader, used to jingle change in his pockets when they were warming up in the studio. Pete Drake, BJ's Producer and my publisher used to walk out in the studio and hold his hand out until Ray gave him his change. It happened every time - kind of got to be a funny routine

And just think...I know this guy!!!

Hugh Jarrett was famous to me as a WLAC (Nashville) disc jockey....known as "Big Hugh Baby." I grew up in Sylacauga listening to that station every night...
other WLAC DJ's: John R. (hey John R. whatcha gonna do...come on John R. - man - play me some blues), also 'Hossman' Allen, and Gene Nobles.

Right on,Cubby.

Hugh was at WLAC after being with the Jordanaires.

I worked with Hugh in the Atlanta Radio Market,WLBA.
Around that time,Hugh had less-than-lead parts in several movies and TV shows. Some that come to mind,MURDER IN COWETA COUNTY,MOVIN' ON(with Sonny & Will).

I don't know anybody famous 'cept me. My kids say that's enough.

Mr Holmes, I know lots of famous people. They just don't know me! "I'm kinda' lucky that way", to paraphrase Joe Walsh.

Chuck,much like you,I know some famous people. Interviewed or talked with them. Mention my name and they would never admit to knowing me.

Except,Dale Ernhardt...if you had happened to mention my name to him..he might have "cussed". I always sensed a similiar feeling when someone talked about him being their hero.