The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coosa River

My favorite river and I believe is the most beautiful body of water in the world is the Coosa River. It is most beautiful where it flows under the bridge in Childersburg, Alabama. It literally takes my Breath Away.

Dianne Hornsby told me the genesis of the Coosa River is in Rome, Georgia. We went to Rome a few years ago and found that what she said was a fact. I 'googled' the Coosa River and here is what the Wickapedia reported...

"The Coosa River is a tributary of the Alabama River in the U.S. states of Alabama and Georgia. The river is about 280 miles (450 km) long altogether.

The Coosa River is one of Alabama's most developed rivers. It begins at the confluence of the Oostanaula and Etowah rivers in Rome, Georgia, and ends just northeast of the Alabama state capital, Montgomery, where it joins the Tallapoosa River to form the Alabama River just south of Wetumpka. Around 90% of the Coosa River's length is located in Alabama. Coosa County, Alabama, is located on the Coosa River."

I spent many-a-night camping and fishing at Cosper's Bend just West of the Childersburg Bridge. I'd 'borrow' a couple of 'Smudge' Pots from a construction site and use the Fire from the Pots for a light to see my fishing poles.

There is also an island which used to have an Airplane Landing Strip where we would get in a boat and take my Beagles and go Rabbit Hunting. There were some of the largest ever Cane-Cutter Rabbits on that Island. I would go with Billy Tankersley's father and Jesse Tackett. We all had Beagles and we always got plenty of rabbits to eat and had a great time to boot. A true, true story

Re: Coosa River

Lathan, we live about 20 miles north of Rome. There is indeed three rivers that flow thru the city. Rome is a lovely town. The Rome Braves Ballpark is on the banks of the Ostanula(sp), a small replica of Atlants Stadium. Can see a game for the highest price of $10.00 and be home in 30-40 minutes. But the team is not doing so good tso far this year.

You can stand on the balcony of the Capitol in Montgomery and look northward...you see the Coosa and the Talapoosa come together and form the Alabama.

Learned that in 6th grade at BBC! Been there and done that and went back years later and took two grand daughters for the experience.

They didn't think as much of it as I!!

One of my all-time favorite books is "Alabama Empire," by Welbourn Kelley. It's historical fiction and is mostly located in the area where the Coosa and Tallapoosa come together to form the Alabama. That was the home of Creek, AKA "Red Stick" Indians. Every time I travel through Baton Rouge, LA, I think about that book and how wonderful it is. I own two copies now, after having my original "borrowed" by someone in Ragland when I was teaching there. If anyone is interested, you can pick up a copy for less than four bucks with free shipping from betterworldbooks.com
They have all sorts of bargains in books, and they are dedicated to fighting illiteracy.