Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sylacauga nicknames.....

Well, if I don't get credit for "Step-Ins," I hereby nickname you "Bloomers."

Great, huh?

Aw, don't mention it!

It is remarkable that there were/are that many people in the Sylacauga area that had that many nicknames, with the place being the size it was. And I did not get them all, by any means. Others come to mind even as I type this. And Jimmy is right; there WAS a Hog Hammonds....but my favorite name of all was not even a nickname....Dick Serviss. Now how could you ever repay your parents for naming you THAT!

My favorite real name was Inez Rape. Pity that poor woman to suffer such a name in a time when one had to whisper words like "pregnant" or say "in a family way."

By the way, just down the road from my house here is mortuary owned by a man whose REAL name is Richard Tipps. Guess what name he actually USES!

I'd DIE before I'd go to that place!

Although,she was not from the area..one of my favorite names was Ima Crumb! I had to read her obit on the air..and,yes,I broke up and choked as I read her name. Please,Lord,forgive me.

However,that was not half as bad as an obit for Ima Chittin!

You must have adapted that one from the daughter of the famous Texas Governor Jim Hogg. The idiot actually named that poor girl "Ima."

The rumor that he also had another daughter named "Ura" was false, however.

Nascar race car driver--Dick Trickle.

Albertville,Al Radio announcer--Beecher Hyde
he might have been from Lizard Lope,Alabama.

Gadsden,Al radio announcer---Harry Butts.

Country singer Janie Fricke marries Conway Twitty..her name would be Janie Fricke Twitty.

Both the I*ma names were real people from the Chipley,Fl area and I had to read their obit on the air..no kidding..and I knew I would never make it through without making it sounding like a HEE-Haw joke.

We better stop this now, before Cubby tells us about his overseas trip to Bad Fart.

Goodnight,Jimbo!!

Naw,one more for the road.

I never announced the name of the artist when I played a record on the radio by "Whoopie John Wilfart".

Jimmy, if you remember, I sent you a picture of Mike Deason pulling my finger in front of the Bad Fart sign in Denmark. Incidentally, Bad Fart was a suburb of a place called Middle Fart. I have photos to prove it.

Yep, I still have the picture, Cubby.

My dad finished Mignon 1934 and was called "Fatty" then. That stuck with him all his life.

Fat and Cat House. Two wonderful and beautiful Christian People.

Did so much for the youth of MBC.

Not a 'person' name but I came across the name of a town called Slapout, Alabama in an Obit the other day and then some of my cousins were talking about someone from Slapout at our reunion in Clanton last Saturday. I tried to find out where Slapout is but got no satisfactory answer. I figure it must be just out side of Plumnelly.

By the way Donald, we got home OK on Tuesday night and shore do 'preciate the bed, the food and the fellowship with you and Rita...I was disappointed that Becky took up all of Huey's time at the Mignon Reunion and we didn't get a chance to listen to him.

Horace

Now we got Big House. Let's quit calling him "Jimmy"...that name of his is just really overused and worn OUT!

SIGNED: Hunk Holmes

(...and if anybody says "Hunk of WHAT!" I'monna quit being positive. )

What about Mr. I. P. Rainwater

Yea and don't forget the snowballs guy.

HORACE