General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Little known facts and maybe no one care,etc

Chubby, you should be ashamed of that language you're using here....Heavens!...you should go immediately to the nearest House of Spirits and cornFESS! Say three Jack Danielses and four Holy Mackerals and sin no more!

HARUMPH!

J.H...let the boy alone..he's on a roll!!

Thanks, Don. It's a crying shame people have to make something dirty out of stuff I write about.

I remember calling in to WMLS in the 50's when they were advertising Hadacol. L.R. Ross asked me how it had helped me and I explained that before I started taking that Hadacol, I could only hoe a couple of rows in my parents vegtable garden, but since drinking that Hadacol, I had become the best hoer in Sylacauga....

Chubby,I remember one of your calls to WFEB. We reported on the news that Coosa River Newsprint was testing a new material for ladies dresses made from wood. They were having trouble with knot holes falling out of the dresses that their models wore. You said,"That should be looked into".

As a matter of fact, I do remember that call....WFEB and WMLS eventually blocked all my calls....never knew why, either....

I recall another of your songs,somewhat serious. It was about a boy and girl walking from Twin St. down trash pile road. The father didn't trust the young Cubby,his daughter's date. The song: PA WALKED BEHIND US WITH A CARBIDE LIGHT. Remember when you wrote that one from a true life experience?

Close, but no cigar.

It was Pa walked behind me and Cubby with a Carbine...

Har! Har! Har! "...looked into..."

I'm stealing that one!

Jim,that was not a shabby group. Remember them well.

Thanks, Don. Sorry I wasn't around when you were a "Mug." I probably would have been jealous, though. LOL

One of the guys just before my time was Billy Todd. I did have a chance on occasion to sing with him. Maybe the most fun was singing someplace like the big tiled rooms like the boys' restrooms at Jacksonville or Troy

One time on a visit to Gadsden on a Chorus trip,Billy Todd went along,after he graduated. He wore his colorful socks,chartruse pants,suspenders and a pin shirt. We also toured the Goodyear Plant. Billy was the most notable of the group. He sorta' looked liked Marcus Dunlap.

Billy Todd used to come to the Culberson house in the village and sing along with the rinky dink piano we had in the hall. My mother's sisters from Eutaw, AL woud come for a visit and she would get Billy over there to sing with all of them. And on one occasion, he was there and Bobby Mizzell was the piano player!
I didn't have enough sense to appreciate the talent that was in that hallway that day....

Did any of them swing across the dye ditch?

Well, we weren't sure about Bobby Mizzell....if there was any swinging going on, he would be my guess.

Oh, wait a minute, you were talking about the rope swing.....gosh, I'm sorry...I thought...

You ain't right! Were you a member of the "Kiddie Club" at the Ritz Theatre where Bobbbie played piano?

Don't ask, Don!

Don't tell, Chubby!

I didn't think so!