The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Speaking of Morris Higginbotham(As Chubby was)

Hmmmmm, I was making trips to Enterprise in those days to visit females I had met at the Hangout at PC Beach. Used to stay at Averrite's(sp) Motel. Barbara Day, Linda Ellis, and a few more that escape my mind at this time...the town had some beauties, as Sylacauga did...

Morris was sumthin' else as a football coach. We ran the Notre Dame box offense the only season he was at BBC. If he had stayed another year, I believe we would have been 9 and 1. I don't believe we would have beaten Valley that next year, no matter what.
The final game of the season we dressed out 19 players for the SHS game, as everyone else had quit or been run off. Heck, he ran the Captain off that we elected after the previous spring traingin. Proud to say I was one of the 19. I met him later on in life and we had some decent conversations. I felt a little odd as he was saying, "Yes Sir and No Sir." to me. I was thinking that I would never have thought that I would hear those words from him to me... If I remember correctly, he won a State Championship at Enterprise.

The Day girl and Carol Judah and others..majorettes..outstanding in their field...or outstanding anywhere that wanted to stand!!

Averett Motel..just 2 blocks from WIRB Radio and around the corner from where I lived on Howell St.

Wow! Small world....you are right. Outstanding, wherever they are standing...

WIRB Radio did a remote broadact from Neal Logue Dept. store in Enterprise. They had a swimsuit sale and had the Enterprise Majorettes as models...Day and Judah and others made the job fun!

I was at the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame event one year and somehow struck up a conversation with Gaylon McCullogh, from Enterprise, who played center for Bear Bryant when Joe Namath was the quarterback.
Jokingly, I asked him to compare Morris and Bear Bryant. He said, "Football Practices at Alabama were easier than the ones I had under Morris Higginbotham.'
That made me feel better about some of the practices I had under him. I know my basic training was not as tough as some of his and Coker Barton's practices. That made basic a little easier for me as opposed to some of the other recruits...I truly think I am a better man in life because of playing football at BBC. Those guys on that 1955 season team - Ed Cleveland, Ted Price, Bobby Fitzimmons, Coot King - and others, were my idols...

Chubby,while in Enterprise,I remember a song that I played on the radio about a space ship landing on the moon..they had women that were 20 feet tall..the guy said,"TAKE ME TO YOUR LADDER,I'LL SEE YOUR LEADER LATER". I am somewhat sure that you wrote that song,right?

Why yes, of course.
I took the words and genre from Bill Hayley's "See you later Aligator" - as in, take me to your leader later, and, "I'll take the latter with the ladder"...and "I'll climb the ladder to...uhh, I mean, of success." And who could forget "Up Yours, lady"

I got the idea for the song from the movie 'Revenge of the 50 foot Woman'....

Chubby,email me at drstephens703@att.net..more on Enterprise!