VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Florida Boys

Thanks,Jimmy House for the reminder.

Florida Boys in the 1960's had a live TV show in Dothan on Wed. nights. They were booked somewhere in the Wiregrass all the way to Pensacola..Thurs.,Fri..or Sat. night.

The Florida Boys with Billy Todd would stop at WIRB Radio in Enterprise in the afternoons after their Wed. night TV show in Dothan. They would sing live in our studios and Billy would do me proud by telling our listeners.."I've know this guy since he was a pup". Then,they would play softball in the parking lot until time to head to their singing engagement.

I even join them in a song on stage in Kingston one night!!

Billy remained a LOCAL BOY til th end..no matter where he had been.

This just popped into my mind:

Several years ago, when I was principal of a tiny elementary school just north of Laredo, TX, one of my teachers was the eldest sister of Dwayne Allen, lead singer of "The Oak Ridge Boys." While I was talking with those guys at one of their concerts in Corpus Christi, I mentioned I had occasionally got to sing with Billy Todd. One of them exclaimed, "No ****?" That really got their attention. Billy was pretty well-known. Shoot, I'd bet J.D. Sumner was jealous of Billy's voice.

I'll bet you were right. Billy was homefolks and J.D. was a freak Bass (No offense). Over the years,I have only heard ,"Billy Todd remembered me and acknowledged me"...Ole Bill was the real McCoy.

That makes him a winner in my book..right next to Chubby!! He knows why!