General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Class of 1942

When I was questioned about the possibility it was suggested that several folks from both schools would come together to name it and find a fair mascot and colors. Here is mine: Marble City High School. Home of the Quarrymen and colors Comer Gold and Cardinal Red.

You know I was thinking of perhaps Fayettville if a school consolidation were possible and I was also thinking of Marble City High School for a name. Many of us over the years travelled a lot farther to school than such an action might bring about today. Winterboro also crossed my mind but has the Honda growth put them in a more highly concentrated population area? I was also thinking,in retrospect, that Sylacauga might not be the best match for all of the gut feelings among student body and alumni. They are also in a higher athletic classification. Putting Comer (High School or football program) together with another school of similar size might also cause that entity to be placed into a higher athletic classification. History shows that it can work, athletically, economically and pretty soon a whole new set of allegiances will emerge. Again I know this could be pouring some salt albeit quite diluted, into the wound BUT Our Time Has Come and almost Gone...my class will soon be celebrating 60 years and each celebration brings with it a smaller crowd...don't mean to be morbid but REALITY IS WHAT IT IS and we all know(well most of do, some presidents aren't entirely sure)what IS means.
I like this discussion and the civility of it. I was even pleasantly surprise when BBComermom jumped with some very positive ideas.

Horace

BBCMOM...now, you have put some thought in this and I like it. Besides that, people have trouble spelling Sylacauga and Marble just comes out pretty good. I have thought for a long time that the combination would be a real powerhouse on the field, both football and band. Sylacauga City has done this to Comer by annexing more and more so it appears there is no other way really. It appears that north and east could be bused to Winterboro and south and west to Fayetville and would not put a burden on anyone that could not be worked out. Comer's facility will still be the choice campus but "smart" people could work to make it beneficial to all. It will take a generation to really get over the shock but has anyone considered what might be best for the kids?

BTW BBCMOM...Please don't call me Mister. Horace is bad enough but Mr. Horace is downright depressing.

Horace

In reply to BBCMOM's first post in this thread...when we first moved to Dairyland in 1943 or 44...there was a rather large Bradley family living in the 4 plex next to ours..probably Apt..5B...they had several kids much older than I (8 yrs of age)...Could have been one of them...I know this is of no value but it just came to me as I was reading through this today.

Horac