The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great Comer Athletes

Almost everyone has their favorite Comer Athlete in Football, Baseball and Basketball. We all acknowledge Ted Price, Dale & Dean Layton, Gary Howell, Paul Glosson, Roger Cooper, Coot King, Ed Cleveland, etc., belong in that group.

I want to no nominate my All-Time favorite all-round athlete and probably the most physically gifted person I know. This guy was responsible for me getting to play Little League Baseball the first year it was in Sylacauga. His Dad was the assistant coach to Coach Barton, who was my first organized Coach of any kind.

Earl Hatchett lettered in football in the ninth grade. His nickname was "Wild-Man". Earl could do it all (in my opinion). We had our share of 'bullies' in high school, but No One...No One ever messed with Earl. It was just a 'given' that you just didn't want to cross his path in a Bullying Way. He was always one of the nicest people you'll ever meet - and still is.

Anyway, that's my Choice and I'm not ignoring people like Ted, Gary, Dean, Dale, etc...I grew up with Earl and doubt if there was a better athlete to attend Comer than him

Re: Great Comer Athletes

Lathan,

I agree with you about Earl Hatchett. Earl was one of our Co-Captains and played Guard our senior year. In the last two games, coach Cunningham put him at half back and he had about 300 yards rushing for those two games...

Lathan