Class of Towanda High School Forum

Ok, What do we want to talk about today?

Class of Towanda High School Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: scholarship

I just want to warn every one. My husband is involved with a group that gives a Scholarship every year, and every year there is a lot of work involved with it. You have to determine who or how the people will apply. Will they write on a topic or be of a certain group? Then how will you narrow it down? If you get 25 people applying which one gets it? I know that my nephew will be graduating this next year. He is very smart, but lost his mother last year... How do we determine who is needy enough. Then Who determines who is the person most deserving??? Every Spring we get 50 papers on a certain subject (determined by the group giving the scholarship.) After that they keep narrowing it down by voting, until they get to the final 5. They take the last 5 out to a nice dinner and have them each give a little speech on the subject (5 minutes) the next meeting they vote and whom ever wins. It is only a couple thousand dollar! but a lot of work for the people giving it.

Most of the people in out group would never meet these people face to face.

Not trying to put a damper on it. Great Idea. Lot of Work.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

That's a great idea Virginia. Will college costs skyrocketing every little bit helps.

Have a happy day everybody!!

Theresa

Replying to:

I think that would be great! I wonder how much 'seed' money we need to start such a scholarship.

Replying to:

I believe Sanday Bargainnier mentioned last year the idea of a scholarship and I have been thinking about it as well. What do you guys think of creating a scholarship fund for a graduating THS senior every year? I think between $500-$1000 would be a nice amount, of course, depending on what we could collectively contribute. What do you guys think?

Re: Re: Re: Re: scholarship

Hi everyone,

I think that a scholarship program is an wonderful idea. My aunt and uncle (Robert and Janet Benjamin) established a wrestling scholarship at THS in honor of their son Dale. You could ask them how it works. We also have a scholarship program that I'm involved in at HP and it's wonderful. It can be a very simple process, many are not. Are there any financial wizards out there from our class who could run the numbers on this to see how much seed $ we'd need. We would have to designate a program manager and committee to run the program. Depending upon how involved we want to get, we could establish this as a 501(c)3 org and sign up on Guidestar.com. By doing this, other sources of funding would be able to "give" directly to our scholarship program. Just a thought.

Replying to:

I just want to warn every one. My husband is involved with a group that gives a Scholarship every year, and every year there is a lot of work involved with it. You have to determine who or how the people will apply. Will they write on a topic or be of a certain group? Then how will you narrow it down? If you get 25 people applying which one gets it? I know that my nephew will be graduating this next year. He is very smart, but lost his mother last year... How do we determine who is needy enough. Then Who determines who is the person most deserving??? Every Spring we get 50 papers on a certain subject (determined by the group giving the scholarship.) After that they keep narrowing it down by voting, until they get to the final 5. They take the last 5 out to a nice dinner and have them each give a little speech on the subject (5 minutes) the next meeting they vote and whom ever wins. It is only a couple thousand dollar! but a lot of work for the people giving it.

Most of the people in out group would never meet these people face to face.

Not trying to put a damper on it. Great Idea. Lot of Work.

Replying to:

That's a great idea Virginia. Will college costs skyrocketing every little bit helps.

Have a happy day everybody!!

Theresa

Replying to:

I think that would be great! I wonder how much 'seed' money we need to start such a scholarship.

Replying to:

I believe Sanday Bargainnier mentioned last year the idea of a scholarship and I have been thinking about it as well. What do you guys think of creating a scholarship fund for a graduating THS senior every year? I think between $500-$1000 would be a nice amount, of course, depending on what we could collectively contribute. What do you guys think?