Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Supercharger

Just bought this;

I was originally looking for an Aisin AMR 500 from a 600cc Subaru Vivio. The one I was bidding on went for way over £500.

This is from a Nissan Micra SuperTurbo (1000cc) and went for £100. It's much smaller than an Eaton M45 or or M24 but not as small as the AMR500. However, I can play around with pulley size. It currently has an electric clutch but I think I will ditch that and run it full time in a draw through style.

I need to lower the compression of my engine and I'm having some spacers for the bottom of the barrels laser cut. The carb is easy to set up as it is an SU and there's a huge choice of needles.

The real difficulty is sorting out the drive to the supercharger. I will do it with a vee belt and Nigel at UK Blowers is able to make a snout if necessary.

Re: Supercharger

Very Nice.
I looked at Aisin superchargers about a year ago,trouble was the only breakers I could find selling at a decent price were in Japan and the freight charges were high. Chris.

Membership No. 1488

Chris
Very Nice.
I looked at Aisin superchargers about a year ago,trouble was the only breakers I could find selling at a decent price were in Japan and the freight charges were high. Chris.

That's my experience. In Japan they go for £200 or so but the freight is substantial and being so far away and the language barrier makes it too easy for the seller to rip you off and just not bother to send it.

This one was being sold by a motor factor in Sidcup who were breaking a Nissan Micra SuperTurbo. When it arrives I will post a picture of it sitting on top of a 2CV engine block.

Liege owners commonly supercharge the Reliant engine drawing through an SU carb and I've not seen a supercharged hot rod done any way other than draw through so I don't see why it can't be done with the 2CV engine - but I'm sure some one will pop up in a bit and tell me.

Supercharging a 2CV certainly can be done. A member of my local Kent Kit Car Club currently (though not for much longer)has one fitted which he made himself from scratch. I'm not sure what fueling he uses but, if he turns up at next Fridays' meeting, I'll try and find out. When we talked at the Delting show recently he told me that a rolling road test showed around 75BHP at the wheels! His has an electric clutch, so doesn't run all the time. The reason it's soon to be removed is that the output has recently dropped, he suspects due to bearing wear and the rotor touching down.

Membership No. 1865

I'm not looking for as much as 75bhp. Around 50 would be ideal. I'm generally happy with the performance of my Avion but would like a bit more power two up on hills and in overtaking situations.

Hopefully less boost will give greater life - but even if engine life is compromised, the 2CV engine is not particularly expensive to repair or even replace.

I have 4 complete engines (some good, some not)and 3 blocks plus various barrel sets and heads (although they all seem to be drivers side for some reason) and I could easily make up a good spare engine to have ready to fit.

I would appreciate hearing anything he has to say about his project. Photos of how he has driven the supercharger and alternator would be very useful.

My Shorrock supercharged BMC 'A' Series sucked through an SU and many of the drag race bikes of the '70's did too so you should be OK there-if I remember correctly(it was nearly 40 years ago) once you got the needle and spring sorted it didn't need much fiddling with.
Cheers
Chris

Membership No. 1488

Chris - that's what I've been hearing. Obviously none of this stuff is easy peasy (or everyone would have one) but it's good to know it's not rocket science.

Having turbo'd and fuel injected a 2cv i can answer a few questions that may arise, when i first built the engine it had lowered compression and ran around 60bhp on the rollers, i later removed decomp spacers, reset the ECU to suit and got 70bhp on rollers, the thing most people dont realise when doing a forced induction set up is that the ign needs to be retarded a certain amount then advanced again as revs rise, this is why i used a programmable ECU to control ign and fueling, if dont have facility then expect lots of pinking and possible damage, you can see my turbo car on my website if interested www.sillycvs.co.uk Good luck, Alan

Membership No. 174

Alan - I had picked up that point on the ignition from the Alan Allard book on turbo & supercharging.

What did you reduce the compression to initially and what boost pressures did you run?

I think I can run the just the ignition module of Megasquirt to alter the advance/retard at various points - what did you use?

Hi, i used an Emerald cams M3D programmable ECU to run ignition and fuel, initially comp was 6.8:1 and around 1 bar boost, later returned to 9.0:1, power runs were showing improvements with ign advance each time but got to a point when detonation was becoming a problem, i called it quits then as had spent enough on project, possibly less boost and more advance could have produced more power but figured 70bhp pretty good from the old twin, was a great laugh annoying the proper cars on motorway, if i can help in anyway just ask, email on contact@sillycvs.co.uk for quicker respnse, Alan

Membership No. 174

Thanks for the advice Alan. I am going to retain the SU and will run around 1/2 bar of boost. I am looking for around 50-55 BHP so may get away with altering the advance and fiddling with the weights a little.

I will probably take you up on the offer to chat. I am putting the Avion back together after its respray. I will use it ove rthe summer and get into this in the Autumn. I have some spare engines so can sort out brackets anytime, I will also get pulleys made up ready.

No prob, re advice, glad theres more nutters out there, i really must get on with my Honda Blackbird powered device again, hasnt been touched for some time, if not careful shall be too old to play, lol

Membership No. 174

might a visa 650 engine give you a better blown result as it is already 4hp and more torque than a 2cv motor...plus it is far more robustly built with larger modern bearings...
The alloy barrels warm up quicker and without the clatter of cast.
David
plentiful available over here...

Membership No. 1336

I am thinking that I may build up a second engine with the blower. The engine in the Avion was bought as New Old Stock and has never been in a 2CV. Too good to experiment with probably.

What are the prices for a good Visa engine?

Re: Registration

Hi David , I was given your name on this forum for all matters relating to registration in France of Lomax 223. I have the V5 and MOT but no coc as this was not available for 1992 tricycles. Any advise on this or can you register as Geoff stated for a reasonable fee?? Tks

Hi geoff
Just got back from Beaulie autonjumble and saw 2 Aisin super chargers £300 and £350
Looked in good nick see why you want to fit one they look just the right size .
They are around ,
the stall holder also had others about the same size ,unsure of the makes

Membership No. 104

Yes Steve, the Aisins are about the size of an alternator. The Aisin 500 was fitted to a Subaru of the "kei" car class with a 600cc engine. The Aisin 300 went on a 350cc engine car.

£350 is a good price for a used one over here. They can be bought new for around £1200 but you have to add on shipping and duty.

The Nissan one I have here is slightly larger and will need to be underdriven. As we discussed,I will need some custom made pulleys - maybe adapt a cambelt set up from another engine. I will also need to sort out a programmable ignition set up. That'll be a job for the winter though.

Didn't vw beetles have a split pulley with washers to permit some adjustment of ratios? might be useable to get the correct blow....

david
Didn't vw beetles have a split pulley with washers to permit some adjustment of ratios? might be useable to get the correct blow....

Neat idea

Do you have a build thread or external blog detailing this project?

Is there any marking or identification on the supercharger so we can try and find more about it, more pictures would be very helpful...

Thanks!

No blog - it'll appear on here as I get around to it. My priority now is finishing my Pontiac powered 1921 Model T Ford hot rod. The Avion is done and useable so further mods are a winter project.

As mentioned earlier, the blower is taken from a 1 litre Nissan March SuperTurbo. I will be starting by under driving it by about 40%, seeing what boost I get and then making changes from there. I'd really like to get hold of an Aisin from a Kei car - it is much smaller and constructed specially for a 600cc engine. They are a fair bit more expensive so I will have to see how the finances are....

Keep an eye on this chap as he has them fairly regularly, both the 300 and the 500

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261062927705#ht_2311wt_1162