Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Frank Cossell Special

The editor should be in possession of an article I've written about the Frank Cossell Special. I won't say more about it as you'll all have to wait until your magazines arrive. However in the latest 2cvGB News (June 2012) is a rather nice two page article complete with colour pictures of the attractive little 2CV-based car, which is now in the ownership of my friend Ian Hutchins of Chatham - to keep his Lomax 223 company.

Membership No. 1906

Re: The Frank Cossell Special

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z312/Paul_Narramore/Frank%20Cossell%20Special/

Please ignore the mud flap images. It would just do my brain in to add images here properly.

Membership No. 1906

At which stage does one shove drinking straws up one's nose,a pair of underpants on my head,and cry "Wibble Wobble"?

Membership No. 1903J

Always happy to help!

David

Membership No. 1159

will this be for road use..looks good,,specially on roundabouts...
must have taken big chunks of time preparing the various moulds...

David
Thanks so much. Yes she is a cracking looking car (in the flesh) but probably taller than a real Vanwall, certainly a bit of a step over to get into the cockpit. A large single seater but a cramped two seater, and Ian's got some head scratching with the gearchange coming up between his legs ;-)

The rear compartment is absolutely enormous with enough room for the driver to fit an air bed and sleeping bag.

One thing Ian and I can't understand are the small 'eyebrows' at the rear where the tails of the chassis poke through. Why not saw them off and have a smooth back to the car?

Wibble wobble? I just don't comprehend 'puter speak, it's all gobble****ok to me, even when spoken slowly.

Membership No. 1906

hi are there any body panels available to buy for the f/c/special if so i would be interested dave randall

Would the eyebrows not be for twin exhausts?

C

What a cracking bit of work!

I too was thinking of a single seater before I met Margaret.

Gear change was going to be a short stick to the front left hand side of the cockpit with a push/pull rod mounted over the pivot rose joint. This rod would be swan necked down to the centre line of the rose joint.

From there through the bulkhead with a cross shaft mounted accross the bulkhead to centre line and then with a similar linkage to the gearbox lever.

Bearings would have to be ball/roller/needle or small ball sleeves to keep the friction down, otherwise the gearchange would be too stiff.

Has anyone else had any thoughts about this problem other than motorcycle brake cables?

Membership No. 301

Not wishing to steal too much of Pauls' thunder in his "Flat Out" article, I thought I'd just fill in a few details, which will possibly not be included.

The car was originally to be christened "Solo" for obvious reasons. Sadly Frank, its designer and builder (to its' current state) died very suddenly.

In readyness for the cars arrival I ripped up and re-surfaced the garage floor and also decided that an inspection pit might be very useful. The size may only be 5ft by 3ft but it's taken me all this week to get down to depth. All but the first foot was flint and very sticky clay. All being well, the base concrete will be poured on Sunday.

I've done very little to the car as yet, apart from sorting how to mount the pedal bracket to ensure that the brake master cylinder misses the gearstick in all its positions. The mounting will be perfected in wood, then fabricated from stainless sheet. At the moment I intend to retain the standard 2cv gearstick and hand brake arrangement. Obviously both will need to be "tweeked" a bit.

A good friend, who assisted with the collection of the car, is a bit of a computer wizard, and he is working on a dedicated web site to record build progress. When it gets a bit more developed, I'll post its' address here so that those who wish, can view and comment!

All in all I'm delighted with the car, but realise that there's an awful lot of work to do which will probably test my patience to the limit, but when it gets too much I can out go for a spin in the 223 which will remind me why I took it on.

Membership No. 1865

Hi Ian, Pauls artical mentioned a set moulds what has happened to them?
I would love to try and reprojuce this!!!
looks good but a 2 seater?? maybe a tandam arragment??
Why not fit the Gear stick to one side like the throttle on a WW11 fighter?
Regards
Mike

Membership No. 1663

Mike

Ian has the car but the moulds stayed with Frank Cossell's widow in Herne Bay. I can't recall the exact details but I understand she hopes that the bodyshell might one day be put into production.

I haven't seen the car for a little while but I know the cockpit is a little on the wide side, a little too wide for a single occupant and a little too narrow for two people.

Membership No. 1906