Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hill Climb

Hi all,

Just by way of curiosity has anyone any knowlege of Lomax or Pembleton machine entering hill climbs (both on & off road?

Steve

Membership No. 1887J

Re: Hill Climb

team. pembletons at prescott hill...last year and this.

Dave Parr with Sliverfish entered the Vie en Bleu climb at Prescott this year, under the auspices of the Three Wheeled Morgan Club.

http://www.pembleton.co.uk/ePAG/ePAG45/prescott.shtml

Membership No. 1759

Thanks Gents,

I enjoyed the link - Prescott event comes accross as a real fun day out.

Steve

Membership No. 1887J

Hi Steve,
I remember seeing Dick Buckland competing at Gurston Down in the late 1990's with the prototype Buckland.
Must go to the hillclimb this year-only live a mile away
but I've been either working or doing stuff elsewhere on all the dates for the last two years.
Chris

Membership No. 1488

On May 13th Cleeve Rotary held their annual event on the Prescott Hill . Jacky & I took the Lomax had 2 x runs on the Hill following Sir Stirling Moss who was driving a Ecurie Ecosse. This event is open to anyone every year £46 for the 2 runs money goes to Rotary sponsored charities. Also had 24 photos taken on the Hill for £12 Bargain day out! Only other 3 wheeler was a Grinall

Membership No. 1762

I forgot to mention that four Pembleton builders (in 3 cars) attended the Driving School at Prescott in May. We each had about 15 runs up the hill with a group of about 60 drivers of all sorts of cars. The weather was appalling as it rained virtually all day so the track was very wet and visibility through wet aero-screens and visors was poor. We had about 30 minutes of sunshine so the visibility improved but the track was a little greasy in patches.
One of us had had to drive through 2 hours of rain there (and back) so he had a pretty miserable day but the rest of us enjoyed ourselves. (All down to stolid British stiff upper lip, umbrellas in constant use, we've paid in advance and we're going to ****ed-well enjoy this if it kills us.) An expensive (£150.00 fee food included) day in the rain but you can't get a re-schedule in case of bad weather
I think the consensus was that it's a fairly pricey form of motor-sport when MSA licence, fireproof overalls, gloves, boots and special approved helmet are taken into account with entry fees.
Three-wheelers are a little easier than fours as they are classified as motorcycle combinations so they fall under ACU regs.
I enjoyed it and am contemplating doing the Driving School in September at my local hill-climb, Harewood, but it's a further £175.00 and of course, no refund if it rains on the day.

Membership No. 1759

Hi Duncan,

Thankyou for the response - the costs are an issue. There is a hill climb venue close to me - Gurston Down in the Broadchalk valley near Salisbury. As yet I have not seen a Lomax or Pembletom in action. I must admit to being rather concerned that the old gerabox would not forgive me if I gave it a thrash up the hill!

Steve

Membership No. 1887J

It depends on how you approach it. I'm not a particularly competitive type so I did it for fun. We were not timed as the weather was so appalling but I imagine I would try to improve my times with practice. It's not like racing so you are in complete control until the red mist descends.
Pop over to Surrey and have a run up Box Hill (after the olympics mess has finished) and see how your car performs. If you time your approach you may be lucky and not have a slowcoach in front of you.
Our nearest public road climb is Sutton Bank,25% with a very steep tight left-hand hairpin. As I know the approach road fairly well I either overtake the cars in front or more usually hang back till I get a long gap.
This often works until you get to the crunch bit where you'll find a prat who suddenly realises half-way round the bend that the warning sign to engage low gear means "Second for Pete's sake you *******!" as they hit the brakes and struggle with a gear-lever. Mid-week is best here as most of the traffic is likely to be local.

I have a 'long box' on the Brooklands and usually double de-clutch into 1st to save labouring the engine.

Unless you've already had warning grumbles or knockings when you drive normally I'd guess the old beast should be OK.

Membership No. 1759

Pop over to Surrey and have a run up Box Hill (after the olympics mess has finished) and see how your car performs. If you time your approach you may be lucky and not have a slowcoach in front of you.

Knowing Box Hill fairly well when I saw your post I surmised "this man has no respect for dead policemen"
However,the olympics mess has meant a complete resurfacing and removal of aforesaid recumbent coppers. Get in quick. a t b bill

Membership No. 1903J

Steve,
Gurston Down has a round of the British Hillclimb Championship on Sunday August 26.Final practice runs from 8.30,timed runs from 10.30 all day with a lunch break about 1-good time to have a pint at the startline bar or look at the cars,costs £10 a head to get in with free parking.I'm going to try and get there if the weathers good.
Chris

Membership No. 1488

It's a long time since I drove Box Hill!
Sorry about that chaps.

Membership No. 1759

Olympic "mess"?

Membership No. 1906

not forgetting the invitation [normally it costs lots to enter !] for the 2009 le mans parade des pilots..The pembleton team from france and england...equipped in white overalls emblazoned with Pembleton,,some achieved signatures of the le mans drivers on " various parts of the whites,,"
...it may have been a parade en ville but there were several steep bits-stop start hills to overcome in sweltering heat with air cooled engines...
9 pembletons made it for a super few days...

Membership No. 1336