Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dip stick

the only picture i have of a dip stick shows an s bend and a wasted part at the end for the oil level My stick ends after the s bend .When i got the car the oil was half way up the s bend and it was seeping out of every posible nook&orafice amonth on and having dumped oil all over leicestershire the oil is on the very end of the stick but most of the leaks have stopped the only problem being i lose pressure on spirited left handers Could anyone give me measurments from the rubber seal flange to the wasted part and also from the block to the top of the tube in case its been trimmed

Membership No. 1959

Re: Dip stick

Dave,
you need to find a replacement dipstick which hasn't been butchered by someone who thought Citroen were not capable of making such a simple item correctly.

Even if just enough has been chopped off to allow the rubber 'bung' at the top to fit snugly into the tube, the reading will still be incorrect, since the stick reads 'from the bottom upwards', not 'from the top down'.

Best to get this sorted as soon as possible, since it sounds as though you're running with a dangerously low amount of oil in the sump...

Ken

%%bbCodeItem_1%%
No tin snips or grinders, svp... by slcchassis, on Flickr

Dave barrett
the only picture i have of a dip stick shows an s bend and a wasted part at the end for the oil level My stick ends after the s bend .When i got the car the oil was half way up the s bend and it was seeping out of every posible nook&orafice amonth on and having dumped oil all over leicestershire the oil is on the very end of the stick but most of the leaks have stopped the only problem being i lose pressure on spirited left handers Could anyone give me measurments from the rubber seal flange to the wasted part and also from the block to the top of the tube in case its been trimmed

Membership No. 724

thanks Ken had to think about that one but yes i supose its logical Do you know does the un choped dip stick bottom out when in place? on closer inspection the tube has been chopped as well....all to get the bonet to fit i supose

Membership No. 1959

I measured a dipstick..The outer tube is 16.5cm long down to the crankcase.There is a curved top to seat the rubber seal.
maybe will help finding out how much yours is altered- and if it is accurate enough..as to oil level.
the actual dipstick is 41.5.
starting from the flat underside of the rubber seal,
[not the bit that fits into the tube]
32cm down to the wiggly part.
35.5 to the lower part of the wiggly bit,
37 to the measuring level slot,
38 to the lower part of the measuring slot.
and 41.5 to the end.
It is springy steel so needs a good hacksaw or grinder...
i have lowered several for pembletons, just measure the lengths carefully...

Surely all of those upper measurements are pointless, David? The important measurement as shown in Ken's image is 1. make sure the bottom of the dipstick rests on the sump, and 2 make sure the distance from the end of the dipstick to the 'notch' is the same as standard. None of the other measurements has any bearing on things.

Membership No. 1906

unless he has an original dipstick -or measurements to work from, he can not know how much alteration has been done or to which part....and how do you measure from the bottom of the sump upwards..
any help and information is useful ????
Having actually performed this shortening on several pembletons I know that it is useful....
don't knock it until you have done it...
plus he actually asked for measurements to help in his original post...
I took the time to go and do it.

A further thought as it is a new/unknown car... Is the reniflard/engine filler/ breather in good working order as if not the crankcase compression will spew out all your oil as described....
Every time the pistons descend, it pumps the crankcase with pressure.. the breather balances that to give a negative sucking action to hold it all oiltight...

Dave,
yes, the dipstick must contact the base of the sump, it should be easy to hear this as you push the dipstick home.
If it doesn't do so, somebody has been busy with the hacksaw or angle grinder.

Just checked the engines in the 3 Dyanes which I've got on the road and which have clocked up close to 500,000 miles between them.
The distance from the tip of the dipsticks to the 'max oil level' mark is 45mm and to the 'min. oil level' it's 35mm.
Regardless of what's been done to shorten the stick or the tube, the measurements above are what really matters.
Bear in mind that the 10mm difference between the upper and lower edges of the cutout is equivalent to 0.6 litres of oil.

Ken

Dave barrett
thanks Ken had to think about that one but yes i supose its logical Do you know does the un choped dip stick bottom out when in place? on closer inspection the tube has been chopped as well....all to get the bonet to fit i supose

Membership No. 724

using simple math,,, that's how my measures come out..difference between 37 and 41.5....good to hear it is correct on the engine I measured...

Hi David,
a small clarification regarding the units we've used for measurements, in case someone doesn't spot that difference.
Yours are in centimetres, whereas mine are in millimetres.

Ken
( By coincidence, there was a Lomax at the recent 2CVGB Registers' event and a friend of mine was trying to give some help regarding a problem with it overheating.
When the oil level was checked, all that they found was a blob of black liquid right at the lower end of the stick.
Perhaps that was one where the modification wasn't as successful... )

david
using simple math,,, that's how my measures come out..difference between 37 and 41.5....good to hear it is correct on the engine I measured...

Membership No. 724

David

I'm sorry but you've missed the point. It doesn't matter a jot what has happened to the other end of the dipstick or it's tube. Does the bottom of the dipstick touch the sump, and if it does, is the bottom of the dipstick unmodified? Ken has given the important lengths for him to check.

It's nothing to do with "don't knock it" , it's nothing to do with how many you've modified, it's nothing to do with "simple maths", it's nothing to do with "I helped him out".

In a forum surely we are permitted to question assumptions, otherwise what's the point of a forum?

Membership No. 1906

Thanks evryone for your efforts i should have enough numbers to arrive at a resonable oil level ill probably change the oil then and put a measured amount back.You were right about the breather Dave it also had been shortened.....badly ive made my own replacement using a motorcycle thermostat housing quite proud of it, time will tell thnks again all

Membership No. 1959

that all sounds good.
you might look at fitting a "foo foo" valve to help regulate the engine breathing.
avoids those oil slics around your roads..smile...
it is a BMW reed valve in a housing to complement the older citroen breather.. it fits on the exit tube quite discreetly
They are [i believe] available from the csc shop

Hi Dave, I have the cut off lower part of the dipstick-from the wiggly part and the oil measuring part-to the bottom. if that would be of use to attach/ weld to your existing piece...
it will go in an envelope and post...

Membership No. 1336

Dave,
the easiest way to check the calibration of a modified setup is to borrow a stick which hasn't been chopped around.
Using that, make sure that the oil is up to the 'max' level, then cut a couple of grooves with a hacksaw to indicate max and min on your modified stick.

Ken

Dave barrett
Thanks evryone for your efforts i should have enough numbers to arrive at a resonable oil level ill probably change the oil then and put a measured amount back.You were right about the breather Dave it also had been shortened.....badly ive made my own replacement using a motorcycle thermostat housing quite proud of it, time will tell thnks again all

Membership No. 724

thanks again dave i think ive sorted it I got a short tube from a 450 bottomed off my old dip stick trimed it off and put notches at35@45 mm .it took another Lt of oil and i can now corner without one eye on the oil light .its about due for an oil change so ill check my oil quantity when i do it thanks again for the numbers

Membership No. 1959