Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Solex 18/26 Carb Choke

Gents, more specifically Ken!

My 18/26 Choke butterfly spindle has a lever which engages with a rod operated via a diaphragm (Carb top O/side rear). I have noticed that the diaphragm operated rod is fully forward when the choke is off. I would have assumed that the rod should only be in this position when the choke is on (when the choke spindle lever has pushed it forward). I have pushe d the rod back wards and forwards to ensure it is not stuck and also spryed WD40 over the ares incase it was a lazy diaphragm. The rods always returns to the fully extended position. Before I dismantle I thought I would confirm the situation.

Setve

Membership No. 1887J

Re: Solex 18/26 Carb Choke

Steve,
sounds as though the diaphragm in your 'choke pull-off device' has failed, however it's lasted longer than most of them.

Best plan is to remove it and file it in the bin, then plug the vacuum drilling and seal the lid of the carburettor where it was attached.
I use a self tapping screw and the original machine screws, plus a small modification of the 'hook' which activated the choke flap.

Alternatively, buy a purpose-made blanking plate from ECAS or make one yourself.
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/choke-pulloff-diaphragm-unit-substitute-blanking-plate-only-p-1755.html

See also;

%%bbCodeItem_1%%
Limiting travel of choke flap. by slcchassis, on Flickr

&

%%bbCodeItem_2%%
This is as far as it goes... by slcchassis, on Flickr

Ken

Steve Keohane
Gents, more specifically Ken!

My 18/26 Choke butterfly spindle has a lever which engages with a rod operated via a diaphragm (Carb top O/side rear). I have noticed that the diaphragm operated rod is fully forward when the choke is off. I would have assumed that the rod should only be in this position when the choke is on (when the choke spindle lever has pushed it forward). I have pushe d the rod back wards and forwards to ensure it is not stuck and also spryed WD40 over the ares incase it was a lazy diaphragm. The rods always returns to the fully extended position. Before I dismantle I thought I would confirm the situation.

Setve

Membership No. 724

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for such a quick response. What symptons would be associated with this fault?

Originally the engine was hesitant just above tickover and seemed to run rich - started without the choke. I then reset the float heights to 18mm & fitted an overhaul kit (105 primary, 90 secondary and 40 idle jet). The fuel pump is fine. The car ran ok, but still started without the choke (I have checked the choke butterfly is vertical in the 'off' position. It was then that I noticed the choke rod extended even when the choke was off.

I will review the links when I get home and go about blanking off.

Steve

Membership No. 1887J

Hi Ken,

Checked out the links - many thanks. They also took me to a previous posting.

I Have removed the offending assembly and cut off the diaphragm section, dressed and refitted with the hole blanked off. I have taken the opertunity to compare my choke butterfly with the one in your link. Mine is definitely fully vertical when off and completely shuts the choke when closed. I checked the jets etc all clean and the fuel pump working fine.

Many thanks for your advice,

Steve

Membership No. 1887J

Steve,
You mention checking jets etc, but what have you done about the idle mixture screw? This is what will allow easy starting without the choke if it's set too rich.

Warm the engine up and adjust this at tickover to get a non-hisitant idle.

Rgrds
Callum

Hi Callum,

I will be adjsuting the idle mixture screw after I have checked the tappets and timing - fitted electronic ignition as per the instructions (with the 6mm pin), but want to ensure advance is ok. I have decided to go back to basics and check everything one more time before finally setting the idle mixture screw.

Busy evenings to be ready for the weekend - I'm convinced the sun will make an appearance!

Steve

Membership No. 1887J