Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DVLA chassis number inspection

I have yet again had problems with DVLA over chassis numbers being stamped into original chassis.
As far as I am awere chassis number are not stamped into original 2CV chassis as the are just too thin to projuce a readable impression, am I wrong!!!
I belive that Triumph, Reliant and Lotus did'nt stamp number into there original chassis either.
Some members say the number are stamped into the R/H chassis leg under or around the drive shaft area but I have never seen this on a chassis again am I wrong or just blind!!!
DVLA and VOSA say the chassis number must be stamped into the original chassis to pass a local DVLA vehicle identity check. Up untill now they have been happy with the number stamped into a renforced steel plate welded to the chassis but this now is being questioned.
Basicly I would like to know weather Citroen did stamp the number into their chassis or not, if they did I'll get my eyes tested, but if they did'nt can the club issue an official letter confirming this?
Regards
Mike

Membership No. 1663

Re: DVLA chassis number inspection

17 digit vin number came in 1977 but i think citroen did not start stamping the chassis straight away. on the later cars it was stamped on the front driverside chassis leg in the region of where the 'spats' are, the sticky out bits that ware supposed to protect the halfshaft gaiter and also support the 2cv inner wing.

Membership No. 1611

Hi Cyc, this is what I have been told but, armed with your infomation I have just checked my original 1983 chassis and found nothing!!
I could tell you with-in a few MM where to find a Land Rover or a VW Bettle chassis number so why can't some body say exactly where to find the number on a 2CV chassis ie; how far down the leg and how far in from the chassis inner edge
Regards
Mike

Membership No. 1663

This probably isn't right for ALL 2CV chassis but this is where mine is. Look under the the front O/S wheel arch, see where the oil filter is, the chassis number is stamped on the chassis directly beneath that, and on the upward facing surface.

Membership No. 1906

Cleaned around that area and found nothing.
The more I look at this chassis the more I think it's an original chassis, and as there no evidence of any wrong doing such as a grinder or welds ect I do'nt know where else to look.
Without the original number I can't convince DVLA.
Regards
Mike

Membership No. 1663

Mike

I am trying to get my head around the logic here. I presume you don't have a registration document with the chassis number noted on it?

So you have what you beleieve to be a genuine 2CV chassis but cannot find the stamped on chassis number? Right?

Why can't you -

(a) stamp the number from the registration document onto an alloy plate and pop rivet this onto the chassis?

(b) stamp any number on an alloy plate and do the same?

(c) do as Ken suggested a while ago and cut a genuine chassis number from an existing (damaged) chassis leg and araldite this onto the chassis?

Heck, surely the DVLA just want to see a unique chassis number so almost anything would do, or am I being simplistic?

Membership No. 1906

Hi Paul, the problem is not the chassis number itself is proving the chassis is "original" to the vehicle!!!
The only way DVLA will accept this is via the "original" number!!
This is why I wanted to find the "original" stamped in number.
Hope this explains the problem better?
On a lighter note, I have just read your letter in Flat Out regarding the unfinished special, very interesting project!!
New web site looks good!!!!!
Regards,
Mike

Membership No. 1663

Stamp the number in where it should be. Rub it down with 80 grit and, oh look, you've found it under all that paint.

Mike,
as Cye has suggested, it's certainly not the case that every 'original Citroen' chassis had a number stamped onto the top outer edge of the offside front longeron.

I have 7 Citroen chassis here for reference purposes and out of the mix of 'standard', Mehari, 250 van, AK400, Ami and Acadiane in the stack, only the Acadiane chassis has a number in the location mentioned above.

I understand that earlier ( pre-70s?) chassis did have a number stamped into the top skin of the chassis, located underneath the RHD driver's seat, but I've never found one of those which was legible.

Wish I'd paid more attention when working on cars which had their chassis replaced by Citroen under their 6 year anti-corrosion warranty, as I doubt that they would have been stamped with a number to match the vehicle's VIN number.
Most of those replacement chassis have now gone the same way as the factory fitted ones, unfortunately...

As an aside, it is easier to stamp numbers into thin sheet metal than 3mm plate, although both need backing to give the sharpest result.
%%bbCodeItem_1%%
VIN number? by slcchassis, on Flickr

Ken.

Membership No. 724