Return to Website

Citroen Specials Club

This Forum page is provided for members of the Citroen Specials Club to ask for, or respond to offers of, advice or assistance and to offer hints and tips with building and maintaining a Citroen Special (kit or one off special) or similar vehicle. Would members please include their membership number and/or e-mail address so they can be identified. Guests are welcome to place messages but must give a valid e-mail address. Feel free to disguise the address by, for instance, replacing "@" with "*", to avoid spam robots copying it.

Anonymous messages and messages not in keeping with the aims of the forum will be removed.

Note: If there is a closed padlock on the message then no more replies can be added.

If there is the word 'Sticky' then it means the message is important.

The Search facility is now active.

Citroen Specials Club
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Solex 24/21 carbs

My 223 Lomax has very erratic tickover, though the plugs tell me that the overall mixture is fine. A Solex 24/21 carb is fitted, not even mentioned in the Haynes manual, and I can't see an idle mixture screw anywhere. Slow running would appear to be governed by a throttle stop screw on a quadrant.
A French website tells me this carb was fitted to a Citroen Mehari Dyane 6 and 8. Can anyone suggest where I can get an instruction leaflet and/or spares? Very reluctant to strip down unless I know this!

Membership No. 1966

Re: Solex 24/21 carbs

Patrick,
The 24/21 carb is very similar to the 26/18 (although superior, having been fitted to Dyanes ) and the idle mixture screw is on the front of the carb angled at 45! There may be an anti-tamper cap on the screw which is making it hard to see.

The throttle-stop adjusts the tick-over speed only, not mixture. Remove the idle jet (next to fuel filter) and blow that through before you do anything else.

Rgrds
Callum

Membership No. 1595

Hi Callum
Thanks for that. I removed the idle mixture adjuster screw, and found the taper bent, also starting to cross-thread, neiher of which would have helped. I'm reluctant to strip further without knowing where I can get a source of spares, or even a new carb. Any ideas, please?

Membership No. 1966

Hi Patrick
Have a look at the ECAS website they sell most things

Membership No. 1540

Ray
A Google search of ECAS failed to show up anything relevant, can you please let me have the address, and what these initials stand for? Thanks

Membership No. 1966

Eastwood Continental Auto Spares

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/

2cv emporium

Membership No. 1595

Patrick,
look at the beginning of Chapter 2 in Haynes and the information there is appropriate for the 21-24 version of the 26/35 carburettor.
This version had primary and secondary venturi diameters of 21mm and 24mm.

Chapter 12, Supplement, page 179 gives the information for the later ( post 1980) version of the 26/35 carburettor, which has venturi sizes of 18 and 26mm.

Despite what our French friends may think, the 21-24 version was used across the range of A series vehicles, including 2CVs. ;o)

Ken
( Probably best if you could copy and paste some of this thread over to the new forum, in case the curtain falls on this one...)

Patrick Howell
My 223 Lomax has very erratic tickover, though the plugs tell me that the overall mixture is fine. A Solex 24/21 carb is fitted, not even mentioned in the Haynes manual, and I can't see an idle mixture screw anywhere. Slow running would appear to be governed by a throttle stop screw on a quadrant.
A French website tells me this carb was fitted to a Citroen Mehari Dyane 6 and 8. Can anyone suggest where I can get an instruction leaflet and/or spares? Very reluctant to strip down unless I know this!

Membership No. 724

Thanks, chaps, that's very useful.

Membership No. 1966