BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM

Welcome!  You are at BibleAndTheology.com, which is the general forum for BibleAndTheology.org.  Persons are invited to post on Bible and Theology (widely interpreted).  Some postings may be chosen to be reposted on BibleAndTheology.org.  Give & receive love here. If you post here, please do not use "Anonymous" or the like. Choose your own screen names, but do not use one that you know is already being used by someone else. Please: 

1. You may debate with any ideas posted, but do not post objections to the topic, style, spelling, use of capital letters, or grammar of anyone's posting.  For example, you may debate whether the moon is made of green cheese, but kindly refrain from reviling a poster by telling him that it is politically incorrect to discuss green cheese.   

2. Do not post complaints or attacks vs. other posters.  

3. No obscene language,cuss words, or blasphemy may be used.   

4. Send complaints privately by e-mail to NellPatKay@hotmail.com.  If your posting is deleted, it could be because it violates forum rules or is just chosen for a short run on the forum.  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If you want the password, register your screen names by e-mail, as password may be needed again if problems arise on the Forum. CHECK OUT THE search function, which is good: it checks the content of the postings.

Note that if you paste onto the Forum, for some reason Bravenet may change your quote marks and apostrophes into something else, like little boxes or funny U's.   Thanks for coming, participating, and for showing love .

BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Malachi's Rhetorical Questions

THE BOOK OF MALACHI

The Book of Malachi is a delightful book and humorous. It is largely book of rhetorical questions. Think of it as kind of like 2 persons arguing. One says: "Why did you throw a rock at my window?" And the other replies, "Why do you play your 1000 watt stereo at night?"

Yet this is not an exactly correct characterization as in Malachi there are 3 parties :
(1) the Lord (Jehovah),
(2) Israel,
(3) Malachi the prophet.

The 2 chief persons uttering rhetorical questions at each other are the Lord and the people of Israel. It is like Israel scoffing at the Lord with unbelieving rhetorical questions. It is like the Lord accusing Israel of sin, and Israel answering, "Who? Me?"

When Israel says things like, "Wherein have You loved us?" and "Why?" Think of a spoiled kid protesting to his parents, as when a kid is told he can't go outside at play without a coat on in the snow, and the kid responds,
"Why-ay-ay?"

Below are the questions listed, with Jehovah's (and Malachi's) questions in capital letters. Pronouns refering to the Lord are capitalized. If an asterisk ( * ) follows a word, the asterisk indicates that the word is plural in the original (e.g., "you*" might stand for "ye.")

The purpose of this presentation is to whet your interest in the Book of Malachi so that you will go and read it and understand it
better. (Along those same lines, note that the Book of Malachi ends with a prophecy of the second coming of Elijah.)

The Rhetorical Questions of Malachi

Wherein have You loved us? ( 1:2 )

WAS NOT ESAU JACOB’S BROTHER? ( 1:2 )

IF THEN I AM A FATHER, WHERE IS MY HONOR?
AND IF I AM A MASTER, WHERE IS MY FEAR? ( 1:6 )

Wherein have we despised Your name? ( 1:6 )

Wherein have we polluted You? ( 1:7 )

AND WHEN YOU* OFFER THE LAME AND SICK, IT IS NO EVIL!
PRESENT IT NOW TO YOUR GOVERNOR;
WILL HE ACCEPT YOUR PERSON? ( 1:8 )

AND NOW I PRAY YOU*, ENTREAT THE FAVOR OF GOD THAT HE MAY BE GRACIOUS UNTO US; THIS HAS BEEN BY YOUR MEANS;
WILL HE ACCEPT ANY OF YOUR* PERSONS? (1:9)

THUS YOU* BRING THE OFFERING;
SHOULD I ACCEPT THIS AT YOUR* HAND? (1:13)

DO NOT WE HAVE ALL ONE FATHER?
HAS NOT ONE GOD CREATED US?
WHY DO WE DEAL TREACHEROUSLY EVERY MAN AGAINST HIS BROTHER, PROFANING THE COVENANT OF OUR FATHERS? (2:10)

Why? ( 2:14 ) (older translation, "Wherefore?" )

AND DID HE NOT MAKE ONE, ALTHOUGH HE HAD THE RESIDUE OF THE SPIRIT?
AND WHY ONE? (2:15 )

Wherein have we wearied Him? (2:17 )

where is the God of justice? (2:17 )

BUT WHO CAN ABIDE THE DAY OF HIS COMING,
AND WHO SHALL STAND WHEN HE APPEARS? ( 3:2 )

Wherein shall we return? ( 3:7 )

WILL A MAN ROB GOD? ( 3:8 )

Wherein have we robbed thee? ( 3: 8 )

What have we spoken against You? ( 3: 13 )

what profit is it that we have kept His charge, and that we have walked mournfully before Jehovah of hosts? ( 3:14 )