BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM

Welcome!  You are at BibleAndTheology.com, which is the general forum for BibleAndTheology.org.  Persons are invited to post on Bible and Theology (widely interpreted).  Some postings may be chosen to be reposted on BibleAndTheology.org.  Give & receive love here. If you post here, please do not use "Anonymous" or the like. Choose your own screen names, but do not use one that you know is already being used by someone else. Please: 

1. You may debate with any ideas posted, but do not post objections to the topic, style, spelling, use of capital letters, or grammar of anyone's posting.  For example, you may debate whether the moon is made of green cheese, but kindly refrain from reviling a poster by telling him that it is politically incorrect to discuss green cheese.   

2. Do not post complaints or attacks vs. other posters.  

3. No obscene language,cuss words, or blasphemy may be used.   

4. Send complaints privately by e-mail to NellPatKay@hotmail.com.  If your posting is deleted, it could be because it violates forum rules or is just chosen for a short run on the forum.  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If you want the password, register your screen names by e-mail, as password may be needed again if problems arise on the Forum. CHECK OUT THE search function, which is good: it checks the content of the postings.

Note that if you paste onto the Forum, for some reason Bravenet may change your quote marks and apostrophes into something else, like little boxes or funny U's.   Thanks for coming, participating, and for showing love .

BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Remove "In God We Trust" from USA money?

Enoch

The closest the constitution comes to such an affirmation is the end of it where it says "In the year of our Lord . . . ," which actually does acknowledge that the Lord Jesus is Lord.

-------------------------------
"The United States government is not in any sense founded on a Christian Religion" - President John Adams, Treaty Of Tripoli, 1797
--------------------------
The United States Constitution (1787) serves as the law of the land for the U.S. and displays the intent of our Founding Fathers, a secular government. Some will say it shows support of Christianity since it contains the words "of our Lord." At the end of the Constitution it records the year of its ratification by stating, "the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven." The mentioning of "our Lord" in the text does not suggest the country appeals to any particular supreme being but it merely conveys the English translation of the Latin, Anno Domini (AD) "in the Year of our Lord." THAT"S IT!

USA is NOT a Christian nation and never was. It is a nation of diversity founded by those fleeing religious tyranny and the only country with a constitution against the combination of church and state. It was founded as a secular nation and its Founding Fathers intended to keep it that way. The United States of America is based on the notion that all man is created equal and stands for "freedom for all" despite one's race, wealth, or religion...

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the republic for which it stands,
one nation indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all.
That's the way it was originally written in 1892 and the way school children recited it for more than 60 years. The words "under God" were not added until 1954 during the McCarthy era when Senator Joseph R. McCarthy took advantage of the Red Scare to force his personal religious views on the USA. He convinced this nation that not being a Christian nation would cause us to suffer the problems of communistic Russia and thus conned the government into making the Pledge of Allegiance more Christian friendly. The Pledge of Allegiance has now been turned into a pledge against the allegiance of America and against what our Founding Fathers stood for And The motto "In God We Trust" did not appear on any U.S. currency until 80 years after the country's birth and 76 years after it was already forbidden in the Constitution of 1708! In 1863 the Christians took the first major step in destroying America's freedom by putting the motto on the back of Florida National Bank Notes. The first United States coin to bear the motto was the 1864 two-cent piece but U.S. dollar bills remained patriotic all the way up until the 1950's during the McCarthy era.

I don't know where you guys get the ideal that the United States is/was a Christian nation...
I guess United States is also a female nation since there is more females in the United States then men. Also, I guess United States is a white nation too, since there are more white people here...

Let me quote a view of our founding fathers..

-----------------
Thomas Paine
"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled it would be more consisten that we call it the word of a demon rather than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize humankind and for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel."

View more quotes
"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine and murder; for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man."

"There is scarcely any part of science, or anything in nature, which those imposters and blasphemers of science, called priests, as well Christians as Jews, have not, at some time or other, perverted, or sought to pervert to the purpose of superstition and falsehood."

"Everything wonderful in appearance has been ascribed to angels, to devils, or to saints. Everything ancient has some legendary tale annexed to it. The common operations of nature have not escaped their practice of corrupting everything."

"The Bible: a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalise mankind."

"The Christian system of religion is an outrage on common sense."

"Priests and conjurors are of the same trade."

"The Bible is a book that has been read more, and examined less, than any book that ever existed."

"As to the Christian system of faith, it appears to me as a species of atheism -- a sort of religious denial of God. It professed to believe in man rather than in God. It is as near to atheism as twilight to darkness. It introduces between man and his Maker an opaque body, which it calls a Redeemer, as the moon introduces her opaque self between the earth and the sun, and it produces by this means a religious or irreligious eclipse of the light. It has put the whole orbit of reason into shade."
------------
Thomas Jefferson

"...no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

View more quotes
“I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies.”
- a letter to Dr. Woods

“The Christian God can be easily pictured as virtually the same as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, evil and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed, beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of the people who say they serve him. The are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites.”
- Letter to his nephew, Peter Carr

Jefferson calls the Christian God "a being of terrific character, cruel, vindictive, capricious and unjust."
- Letter too William Short Monticello, August 4, 1820

"We discover [in the gospels] a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication."
- The Jefferson Bible

“Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.”
- Notes on the State of Virginia, query 17 1784

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."
- Letter to John Adams, from Monticello, April 11, 1823.
---------------
Benjamin Franklin

”Lighthouses are more helpful than churches”

“The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.”

View more quotes
"He (the Rev. Mr. Whitefield) used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard."

"In the affairs of the world, men are saved, not by faith, but by the want of it."

“Some volumes against Deism fell into my hands. They were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle’s Lecture. It happened that they produced on me an effect precisely the reverse of what was intended by the writers; for the arguments of the Deists, which were cited in order to be refuted, appealed to me much more forcibly than the refutation itself. In a word, I soon became a thorough Deist.”
-----------------
John Adams

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

View more quotes
"But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed."

"What havoc has been made of books through every century of the Christian era? Where are fifty gospels condemned as spurious by the bull of Pope Gelasius? Where are forty wagon-loads of Hebrew manuscripts burned in France, by order of another pope, because of suspected heresy? Remember the Index Expurgato-rius, the Inquisition, the stake, the axe, the halter, and the guillotine; and, oh! horrible, the rack! This is as bad, if not worse, than a slow fire. Nor should the Lion's Mouth be forgotten. Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1,500 years."

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles."

“It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service [formation of the American governments] had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven...”
--------------

James Madison
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

View more quotes

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together"
---------------
George Washington

"There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."

View more quotes
"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their [not our?] religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society."
-------------