Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heads-up on IQ "study"

Just heard a German radio station reporting on the latest results of IQ ratings of nations. IIRC, it's from Ulster Uni - presumably more of Richard Lynn's effort.

Germany came out on top ... which'd make them happy. They fail to explain the significiance of the number.

Haven't found the full original report yet but I presume that the UK has a politicially-correct rating of 100.

Re: Heads-up on IQ "study"

As reported by the AOL newsfeed this morning under a banner heading proclaiming Brit superiority over the French.

Some very interesting conclusions derived. For example, if this was a real competition with Lynn as the coach of the team one obvious tactic would appear to be the simple adjustment of the number of women in the sample - which would presumably mean in the population.

Good guess about the 100 figure for the UK though - though the higher resolution data seems to suggest 100.5. I applaud his accuracy. Stunning.

Anyway, it seems that the French, according to Lynn, eat too much cheese and not enough meat and that this combination leads to them having a poor miltary record.

Didn;t realise that IQ tests had been around that long - or has he been measuring the sizes of preserved brains?

Grant

===================================================

A new league table of European IQ scores has ranked the British in a respectable eight position, well above the French but badly behind the Germans.

According to Professor Lynn of the University of Ulster, Britons have an average IQ of 100, with the French languishing badly behind on 94. The Germans and Dutch top the league with an average IQ of 107.

The IQ League

107 Germany
107 Netherlands
106 Poland
104 Sweden
102 Italy
101 Austria
101 Switzerland
100 British Isles
100 Norway
99 Belgium
99 Denmark
99 Finland
98 Czech Republic
98 Hungary
98 Spain

Professor Lynn has spent three decades studying intelligence and brain size and has conducted thousands of test results to examine the role of evolution in IQ.

Lynn’s previous findings have revealed that the Oriental peoples of East Asia have higher average intelligence by about 5 IQs points than Europeans.

More controversially Lynn also claims that women have smaller brains than men, even when allowance is made for their smaller bodies implying that men are more intelligent than women.

Professor Lynn said: "the main environmental influence on IQ is diet, and people in southeast Europe would have had less proteins, minerals and vitamins provided by meat which are essential for brain development.”

According to Lynn’s research people in England and Wales have an IQ of 100.5, higher than Ireland and Scotland, both with 97. People living in the capital and the South East average an IQ of 102.

Professor Lynn attributes the differences between British and French intelligence levels to the results of military conflict. Lynn believes a hitherto unrecognised law of history is that the side with the higher IQ normally wins, unless they are hugely outnumbered, as Germany was after 1942".

Copyright AOL or whoever supplies thier news items.

Re: Heads-up on IQ "study"

I see that the Czech Republic, Hungary and Spain got a three-way tie at the lower average IQ: a paltry 98. Now the good German prof says "the main environmental influence on IQ is diet, and people in southeast Europe would have had less proteins, minerals and vitamins provided by meat which are essential for brain development.”, so that explains it. But wait, Spain is not in SE Europe! What then explains Spain's low score? Easy, Spanish is spoken there!

And Spain cursed whole continents and islands in the Americas by seeing to it that their conquistadores and assorted missionaries spread Spanish widely. No wonder I had so much trouble in maths and sciences!

Re: Re: Heads-up on IQ "study"

The Prof. is based in Ireland so maybe Irish. Which might explain everything.

I love the accuracy offered. I never realised that the IQ test (or anything similar to it) could be so rigourously measured.

I do know that some publically published tests I undertook as a self test when I was a teenager allowed me to learn how to answer the questions and added about 20 points to the score between the first half and the second half of the test.

Quite substantial error bands then ...