Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The BBC and Global Warming

....and your mention of your daughter reminds me why the BBC is so dangerous. My girlfriend's (8-year-old and very intelligent) daughter waxes lyrical on the destruction of the environment after watching the last episode of Blue Planet (otherwise very good), which is dedicated to emotive and irrational hand-wringing about the destruction of fish species and corals. As far as I can remember there are few logical arguments presented, but plenty of amateur dramatics (female presenters with worried creases between their brows etc. etc.)

Real shades of 1984 here. Pay your TV license and watch your children being programmed. (Pun on "programme" anyone?) One of the results is that she now hates the Chinese (the episode focused on the latter country's fishing policies)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The BBC and Global Warming

"One of the results is that she now hates the Chinese (the episode focused on the latter country's fishing policies)"

Should you, as a good citizen, be reporting her to the authorities for a suspected race hate crime?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The BBC and Global Warming

I'm afraid I'm worse than that anyway. My response after listening to about an hour of her telling us what we should and shouldn't be eating was "Pack up that tree-hugging greenie crap or we'll send you to bed"

She should be reporting me.

Re: The BBC and Global Warming

If you look at blogs like this one http://www.biased-bbc.blogspot.com/ you'll see bias is a BBC mainstay. That said its coverage is no worse than the frell coming out of ITN who blame everything on global warming even dams lessening the water level in Lake Chad.

The BBC has now had a programme on Radio 4 that did ask some sensible questions about the reporting of global warming, and to some extent questioned the underlying facts. In addition, the Independent has had a full page spread on the lack of science underpinning the reported dangers of passive smoking. The ratio of sensible articles to propaganda has now changed dramatically. If the rate of sensible articles continues to increase at this rate, the BBC will need to devote all its licence fee to the topic.

Re: Re: The BBC and Global Warming

If that does indeed come to pass I would feel much more comfortable paying the licence fee(s).

Now, if they could pass the admin of the licence to an organisation other than Crapita I might even have to undergio some sort of religious conversion ... ;-)

I accidentally tuned into a news item about the 50th anniversary of the Gower Peninsula becoming designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It rapidly degenerated into a tirade about global warming. The final message was “What is the point of saving it from development if it is going to be destroyed by GW?”
I despair.