Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Modern Computing

I don't know if I mentioned my other plan.

Buy a New Cheap computer.

You have Norton installed?

I may be considered irresponsible for doing this, but I refuse to put Norton or Mcaffee on my home computer. I have Mcaffee at work, but I would like to get rid of it. For some reason the "Virus" protection software acts more like a virus than actual virii. I have had Norton on my system in the past and noted that trying to get anything done was challenging because it seemed to be constantly scanning.

The only time I have had difficulty with a virus was when my father said "Oh I wonder what that file is" and downloaded it, from what was obviously a corrupted computer.

I think I need to uninstall Mcaffee at work. That might get it back up to speed again.

Re: Re: Re: Modern Computing

Brad said:

"You have Norton installed?"

Not if I can help it, for the same reasons that you mention.

I run the free version of AVG which seems to work very well. I was talking to a friend - a 40 year veteran of the computing world whose opinions I greatly respect - a couple of days ago and he said the same, though he uses a different free virus checker which seems as unintrusive as AVG or maybe even more so.

I get really annoyed when new machines come with 90 day trials of Norton or McAfee installed. However I fear that uninstalling them may be detrimental to the stability of the machine (I don't trust uninstall processes for that sort of intrusive program) so I tend to leave them there but disable as much as I can find of them.

Re: Modern Computing

Grant, I agree with you. I've been using AVG for about 2 years now, no problem. I have installed the last version (AVG antivirus 7.5 and AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5) plus Zone Alarm firewall). I recently bought a Dell duo-core laptop and uninstalled McAffee, installed those above. In addition, I recommend Executive Software Diskeeper 10 for disk defragmentation. It's fast and defragments in the background. You hardly notice it. Nor free, but worth it. Many disk problems can be caused by extremely fragmented disks.

Re: Re: Modern Computing

Jaime, I tend to rely on XP to do the defragmentation as it says it should. I don't think it is very effective but then it never indicates that it is working. However there are times when something is using all the disk I/O (my disks tend to be very full so re-organising sets a challenge, especially with some of the very big files) and when I try to do things it can be rather tardy for some time. Until the process, whatever it is, stops. It does not submit to forms of interruption!

Mostly it does not worry me, though you have reminded me it is time to do a manual check run soon.

Of course the 'carbon footprint' of this sort of activity, together with running backups, is huge since it is best to leave the equipment to run overnight or at other times when it is not really in 'use' as such. As we all know nothing should be left running under those circumstances. Maybe I should also disconnect my electronic alarm clock when I go to bed? I assume a clockwork clock would be much preferred in green circles.

Just checked my notebook. XP wants to defrag - which is odd beacuse it has had several days of no use to get on with it in the background. But I have only 1% free and XP likes 15% of the disk to be free for effective defragmenation. Oh well, I set it the task anyway. I must get around to moving stuff to my external drive.