Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mobile phones

Sounds exaggerated to me.

Here's a link..
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sustainable/charger/

My solution, put the charger in a socket in a popular place. Even if you leave it on, somebody will come along and plug in something else. If it made a difference. Which it doesn't. Sometimes chargers get a little warm. If so, like the lightbulbs, they're heating the house. By a watt or two. Big deal. Nobody is going to turn down the fire at the power station because of this.

This is one of those stats that gets quoted so much, but never backed by the assumptions used to work it out.

Re: Re: Mobile phones

I just did a check on this. Finding a charger in the kitchen, left switched on, I felt it. Cold. Ergo, no power use. Myth busted?

Re: Re: Re: Mobile phones

What? You discovered that if there is no load on the outlet there is no power consumption (or **** little). Better watch you back, the PC police may be knocking at your door soon. 62,400 repetitions of "I will unplug all electronic devices when I am not using them," will get you back into line.

"I will unplug all electronic devices when I am not using them,"

Al Gore doesn't worry about his phone charger, he just has his assistant do it for him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mobile phones

The interesting part of the original post was the reference to 65,000 homes. Whenever you see a reference to the number of homes as a surrogate for energy think scam. It's a bit like the use of power instead of energy. I mean one pulse of a high power laser can produce the power equivalence of a large power station but nowhere near enough energy to charge a mobile phone. Smoke and mirrors, like windpower/energy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mobile phones

I recently studied my house's standby power usage. It came up to 3%.

My new cell phone charger consumes a terriric amount. 0.36 watts or 0.25 kWh per month, when not charging the phone. With my average total usage of 1000 kWh per month, that's nothing. Cost is a massive 2.5 cents per month.

But spin it the other way. Assuming there are 100 million cell phones in America. Those chargers at a ratio of 4000 to 1 are using the energy of 25 thousand homes. Now doesn't that sound scary?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mobile phones

"Now doesn't that sound scary?"

Depends whose home one thinks of when trying to do the conversion.