Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Those left-handed women

Sandy S. has good insight on this sort of crap(US slang for the defecationary residue from the male of the bovine species) at this site:
http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/05/greatest-myth-of-health-risk-factors.html

Epidemiologists are fun like watching snakes and just as dangerous.
Gary K.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those left-handed women

"Epidemiologists are fun like watching snakes and just as dangerous. - Gary K."

Not all of them. Some of the ones you see nowdays touting RRs of 1.05 are, but when I was in research, I knew a couple of REAL epidemiologists who understood the fraility of their studies.

One had me find a better random number generator. His analysis showed that the generator built into Fortran on our PDP11 wasn't truly random, (software generators often aren't,) and he wanted no bias in the way patients were assigned to different treatment schemes.

He also once said that anyone with a mission to cure disease X shouldn't rely on statistics. Emotional bias makes it easy to see a cure in the numbers where there really is nothing there.

But nowdays, anyone with Excel can be an expert. (People like John obviously excepted.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those left-handed women

There are probably thousands of Epis out there who are honest. They are doing very mundane things like analyzing cat food (although apparently that has taken a twist for excitement this month). The pet food scare here in the US was a prime example of when those Epi's come in handy. Problem is, those things don't happen all that often.