Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meteorologist tampering

I ran into a budding meteorologist this weekend. I was a little rude perhaps. I asked him if he had signed his statement that "He will never contradict the hypothesis of AGW". Oddly, he didn't quite know of what I was speaking. He was aware that Heidi Cullen firmly believed in AGW, but was unknowing of her assertion that any meteorologist who denied AGW should have his certificate yanked.

I did my best to inflict maximal skepticism into his future career without actually being too much of a nuisance on the golf course. I limited my discourse to the following.

1. The science is never settled. We are still debating what makes aircraft fly (Is it Bernoulli or Angle of Attack?). Somehow we manage to make planes fly, but the science is apparently NOT settled. I dabble in aerodynamics from time to time, but that is to make balsa and paper airplanes for my 5 year old.

2. If you can't predict what is going to happen tomorrow with certainity, please explain how you can predict 50-100 years in the future?

Anyone want to suggest other cornerstones that should be gently inserted into the next generation of decision makers. I am almost certain that our movement is doomed to failure in the grand scheme. Our only hope is instiling Kung Fuisms into the minds of the next generation, that they might wake up and ask... "Wait a minute... that's not right" and procede to think for themselves.

It is a risky business, letting people think for themselves. Unfortunately, it is about the only way for liberty to succeed.

I worry everytime my children do something that might get them hurt. I worry more though that if I prevent them from getting hurt, they might die as a result.

Re: Meteorologist tampering

I'm not sure the next adult generation has gone green. I think it it the one after that that propagandists are eyeing to be the converted. After all that is the generation that could be 'leading' when the 2050 hell point is reached.

Unless of course the balance of the world's politics has changed so much in that time (surely not, I mean the last 50 years has been stable hasn't it ....? Err, oh, well, maybe not ....) that anyine passing through western junior education now will be irrelevent by then.

Another question you could pose to the meteorologist.

"Now that climate and weather is purely a political arena, do you feel you have chosen the wrong vocation?"

Grant

You should continue your efforts to educate every one of the next generation at every single opportunity. If the opposing views are not stated frequently and fervently to these young men and women then do not be surprised if those that have other motives get there first.

It is my responsibility as a thinking person to have a questioning attitude at all times and to ensure that the younger generation is instilled with this attitude. I was always told by my father "Never believe anything you read in the papers".

I don't and he was so very right and it is a maxim that I never will forget. That was his legacy to me. It is my duty to pass it on....as long as it doesn't wreck a perfectly good game of golf.

Malcolm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I ran into a budding meteorologist this weekend. I was a little rude perhaps. I asked him if he had signed his statement that "He will never contradict the hypothesis of AGW". Oddly, he didn't quite know of what I was speaking. He was aware that Heidi Cullen firmly believed in AGW, but was unknowing of her assertion that any meteorologist who denied AGW should have his certificate yanked.

I did my best to inflict maximal skepticism into his future career without actually being too much of a nuisance on the golf course. I limited my discourse to the following.

1. The science is never settled. We are still debating what makes aircraft fly (Is it Bernoulli or Angle of Attack?). Somehow we manage to make planes fly, but the science is apparently NOT settled. I dabble in aerodynamics from time to time, but that is to make balsa and paper airplanes for my 5 year old.

2. If you can't predict what is going to happen tomorrow with certainity, please explain how you can predict 50-100 years in the future?

Anyone want to suggest other cornerstones that should be gently inserted into the next generation of decision makers. I am almost certain that our movement is doomed to failure in the grand scheme. Our only hope is instiling Kung Fuisms into the minds of the next generation, that they might wake up and ask... "Wait a minute... that's not right" and procede to think for themselves.

It is a risky business, letting people think for themselves. Unfortunately, it is about the only way for liberty to succeed.

I worry everytime my children do something that might get them hurt. I worry more though that if I prevent them from getting hurt, they might die as a result.

Just a week ago, a young friend of mine in his early 20s asked my opinion of AGW.

(I was a bit surprised, as he is intelligent and opinionated, and usually knows firmly where he stands.)

However I led him through some of the basic debunking points gleaned from NumberWatch and Junkscience.com, then suggested he think them over and did some more looking for himself.

I sensed relief from my friend, even though all I had done in twenty minutes was give him a few basics, including climate history.

Then he started to get quite furious. He is naturally suspicious of "authority", but like most people had been hearing only one point of view from newspapers and television, so what's a lad to do?

He has to swallow the alleged consensus, as I reluctantly did until last year when with the help of a shiny new broadband connection I was able to do some research for myself.

The moral I draw is that youngsters are open to reason, and if they get the guidance they need to learn how they are being conned, they could be even more angry than I was by the discovery of what is undoubtedly a fraud.

When they get the news to their friends, the Warmers should look out.