Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moron

I dimly remember that imbecile,cretin and idiot were once defined, I believe, in terms of IQ. Moron was quite high in the ranking order.I wonder if any teachers still use these endearments in the classroom, or is it a sacking offence these days?
I was called all of them at school.
Our Physics teacher's standand comment when handing back our exam scripts was that "there was more Physics in a glass of Eno's" -a word play that was archaic even then 55years ago.One that I always found
amusing was " as dim as a Toc H lamp" -totally meaningless to-day. I wonder what the lasting effect
of this relentless torrent of insults was?
My better half rather rudely says that I am "bollock-proof" I wonder?
Cheers Ed

Re: Moron

On second thoughts and here in the privacy of our forum, I have some feelings of guilt over that piece. I suspect that the person in question is a genuine moron (in the classical sense) and it was perhaps unfair to take advantage.

Re: Re: Moron

Anyone who goes out of their way deliberately to be offensive by mis-spelling someone's name several times is probably too intelligent to be a moron. The overall effect is of an individual who knows they've lost the argument but want to show they really are rather clever! I used to call people like that a prat.

Re: Re: Moron

On second thoughts and here in the privacy of our forum, I have some feelings of guilt over that piece. I suspect that the person in question is a genuine moron (in the classical sense) and it was perhaps unfair to take advantage.

He is thoroughly shown-up in the forum, I think. 'Speak quietly and carry a big stick' never appeals to those who don't have big sticks.