Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Solar Energy Via Balloons

I have a dream of carpeting the sahara desert with cheap, 90% efficient solar-electric panels with a design life of 200 years, and coupled to hydrolysis plants to produce hydrogen which can be exported to meet the whole world's energy needs. I have no idea how to achieve it in practice, but because I have the dream, it seems I can write the patent. Surely that's daft. Clearly solar panels all over the sahara coupled with a means of getting the energy to where its needed would be extremely desirable - nay essential seeing as oil is a limited resource which we are using faster than the bowels of the earth can generate it from the remains of dead organisms. But there are thousands of technical hurdles to overcome. I should apply for a patent when I overcome one of those hurdles in practice, not just when I have a flight of fantasy.

In addition to the totally ****ing “tether” fallacy, the balloon idea relies on ignoring the cosine rule. There is only one point on a sphere that receives the full intensity of radiation.

Would you believe it? The system eliminated the totally acceptable English word D A M N and made it look as though the original had been considerably coarser. I support the elimination of so-called “strong” language, because it is just the opposite – the refuge of people who are too idle or ignorant to select appropriate descriptive words from their vocabularies. But this is what happens when people programme naïve rules into machines.

As you're paying for the forum you can turn the swear filter off. At least that was the case when I ran a board on this platform.

If for no other reason, do it for the peace of mind of the good people of Scunthorpe.

Oh, it doesn't censor that but does object to ****. Maybe it's not so naive after all.