Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Atmospheric Transmission Data

Does anyone know where I can find a proper full spectrum listing of atmospheric transmission and absorption bands. Preferably on on the internet and preferably as figures rather than graphs.

I think its time I took another run at calculating what the equivalent increase in received solar radiation due to CO2 at various % of fully blocked is. Having done the calculation way back I know that the common global warmer enthusiast figures are nonsense but it would be nice to put some numbers in to shut some of them up. Unfortunately my old work seems to have been lost in paper form and most of the electronic files didn't make the transition from HP67 / BBC B / Apple IIe form into the Apple Mac era. All I seem to have is stuff concerning the effect of sunlight on low temperature 3 to 5 µm thermal imaging. (Still got the magnetic cards for the HP67 with calculations on them along with the calculator but the power supply has gone. If anyone has a power supply they don't want it would be nice to see if they still work.)

Clive

Re: Atmospheric Transmission Data

Clive,

Try here.

You can download your data from the "Line List Browser." Then go to "Extract Data." It's a lot of data. I recommend the CVS format so you can load it into a spread sheet. Good Luck!

Jim

Re: Re: Atmospheric Transmission Data

Thanks for that Jim.
Obviously you are much better at web search than I.
Pity they haven't got the HiTran & LoTran atmosphere model data in native single file form. With a following wind I think I can remember how to deal with that. But then I might be tempted to do a full job instead of sorting simple figures as a green pundit stopper.
Mayhap I'll report back in a couple of months if it all turns out how I expect.
I can't face it as a full time job but it will make a nice break from restoring a Pratt & Whitney Model B lathe.

Clive