Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Water as fuel for a high energy source ...

I was listening to Astronomy Cast yesterday. They were talking about the necessity for H2 to exist for stars to form because H is moving way to fast to slow down.

This begs a big question for me. How do you go from H20 to, H2 02 to H H O2.

I can see that high energy H combining into a lower energy H2 would result in an exothermic situation, but how do you get the high energy H. S

Should a send a big pipe out into space?

Ok, I didn't read the whole website, but when someone starts saying ENERGY SOURCE and Hydrogen in the same breath my alarm bells all start ringing.

Re: Water as fuel for a high energy source ...

This is either the greatest breakthrough in physics ever, far in advance of Einstein's General Relativity, or utter ballocks.
Have a shufti at

This is just another variation on scams based on breaching the second law of thermodynamics. The occupation of electron states in matter is determined by the temperature. You can achieve spontaneous emission, as in a LASER, but you have to pump it first: i.e. put in more energy than you get out. Inducing the electron to go to a lower level is the same thing as spontaneous cooling (and, incidentally, decreasing entropy) and is therefore contrary to the second law. Catalysis is a red herring as it refers to inter-atomic reactions, not sub-atomic ones.
By the way, does anyone know what happened to Steorn?

Re: Re: Re: Water as fuel for a high energy source ...

What happened to Steorn:

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/2009%20February.htm#threat

Whoops, sorry, the URL that didn't come out was referenced above.

John,

It's good to see you posting here. I do hope things are going tolerably well. See if you can obtain some health budget funding for gym membership related to fitness requirements for shuffling wheelie bins. Also ask whether you are legally allowed to move them without a suitable H&S training qualification.

Steorn came to mind when my neighbour was describing what he had read before I looked at the web site.

I am extremely sceptical of course, not the least because, having followed the earlier posted links, I see that the guy involved in writing up the research 10 years ago is also the University validator in the video.

Also interesting is that my early searches turned up a reference to patents application disputation in the UK last October (Or was it November?) where it seemed that BLP was objecting to being refused the right to apply for a patent.

Compared to most of the earlier scams I have seen (although Enron and Madoff have them beat) they seem to have survived well for a couple of decades, have money to throw at lawyers, a fairly substantial (if someone unconvincingly furnished) building and some board names with cvs that are a cut above the norm. If genuine.

How do they do it?

The Scam Quotient is determined as the ratio of salaries paid tp investment received.
Steorn seems to have a very high scam quotient. This latest, well it remains to be seen what salaries are being paid, but all these schemes seem to generate huge investments from somewhere.

On the other hand, the traditional inventor, whether of perpetual motion machines or something genuine always seems to have little or no investment and probably no food on the table.

Another tell-tale is the sophistication of the website; plenty of animations, flash players etc but no meat.

I did read that Steorn was encountering some problems with a demonstration but there is very little in the news at the moment.

PT Barnums "one born every minute" encompasses a surprising range of people "who should know better" and these days it seems this "should know better" group is a most lucrative source for the scam merchant as the recent departure for unknown shores with $50billion of a supposed financial genius has shown by having milked a range of self-confessed financial experts who were completely fooled.

It is helpful in life to remind oneself of the great maximus:
"There is no such thing as a free lunch"
"If it sounds too good to be ture, it is too good to be true."

What surprises about the financial scam is that it was nothing sophisticated at all, simply the use of one investors funds to pay dividends to existing investors. The zero point energy scams and now this latest are no less surprising for that they are separating the supposedly well informed from their money.

Re: Re: Re: Water as fuel for a high energy source ...

I'mglad I'm note a clever person so prone to make these mistakes.

Ironic that it the regulation put into place following Enron, Worldcom, et al., nay have contributed to the current meltdown but failed to identify the obvious scams.

Such is the way of clever people who can predict the future well beyond 100 years when they advise on public policy but cannot see beyond the end of their trough from day to day.

Unless of course that is the way they want it and thus make it so.
================================

JMW:

"What surprises about the financial scam is that it was nothing sophisticated at all, simply the use of one investors funds to pay dividends to existing investors."

=======

Sounds just like a pension plan to me and even the (allegedly) former Chancer knows how to "work" one of those. Should we call him Bernard Brown? Gordon Madoff?

You know they just don't want this sort of thing to become to self evident because they need to protect their Carbon Scam from criticism along the Madoff lines and ensure no one creates any rules to throw it off track.

Grant