Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Swine Flu

Ok, some people have now died here in the US. They have been explicit in pointing out that the reason they died was because of other factors involved (CHF and other illnesses), and they augment the stories with people making sensible statements, but they are still covering the story with used car salesman like vigor.

My initial assessment of "no deaths" was a little extreme, but the fundamental message I was trying to get across still holds. Flu is dangerous. This particular flu doesn't appear to be more dangerous than the regular flu.

Re: Swine Flu

Based on the stats so far, this strain is less harmful than the multitude of other influenza strains that have come and gone in the past. Now remind me again what is the current population of the earth? Circa 6 billion? How many of the earth's population are infected by potentially deadly diseases at any one time? How many people are killed by malaria every day?

It never ceases to amaze me how these scares are allowed to develop to the point of mass hysteria and I've read Christopher Booker and Richard North's book 'Scared to Death' cover to cover so I understand the 'seven basic attributes' of a good scare. This latest 'scare them to death' episode is sadly consistent with the second paragraph of the Introduction to this great book '...passive smoking; asbestos; SARS; Asian bird flu - the list is seemingly endless'. How right they are!

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.”

H.L. Mencken