Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ban dark colored cars!

OMFG. 11 gallons of gas saved. I suffer from Individualitis. I fill my tank once a week with about 15 gallons of gas. Effectively this means that I might save 1 tank of gas a year. $40 right now.

I do have my AC on all year round, but this is for the benefit of dehumidifying the air, which makes my defroster work a lot better. I started doing this in Florida. You cannot operate a vehicle in Florida without an air conditioner. Your windows will never be clear.

People seem to keep spending tens of dollars to save pennies.

On a different note, my inhaler (albuterol) went from $20 a piece to $80. Why? They are now CFC free. Fortunately I don't rely on them much, but $60 will save the environment.... Er, make the company a lot richer.

Wouldn't be allowed here. How would State Security Forces (formerly police) be able to peer inside your car to see if you're being a Good Little Sheep and wearing your seatbelt as nanny said?

The requirement to wear a seat belt seems reasonable to me, because if you get yourself smashed up it also causes serious harm to other people: the poor so-and-sos who have to peel you off the car seat and the taxpayers who have to fund your long and expensive rehabilitation.

It would however seem more sensible to have a seatbelt clause as part of your health insurance rather than something the police can make money with when not busy prosecuting alleged rapists on the say-so of one person with mild regrets the next morning. That way, you could pay a supplement if for some bizzare reason you didn't want to wear a belt, or pay to have the steering column removed from your face out of your own money.

Good Grief! I actually agree with James! Frank's argument is essentially that of the protection racketeer. Remember that emergency service personnel are a) paid to do it and b) volunteers. It is not valid to use their (possible) distress as an excuse for compulsion.

They are paid to do it, but they are human and have feelings. We might also consider the other driver in a crash, who is likely to feel responsible for maiming the person who didn't wear a seat belt even if it wasn't his or her fault. Few of us are so despised that, if we were horribly smashed up, it would have no effect on anybody else.

A crude libertarian approach is just as wrong as the authoritarian ideas that are now so dominant. If 'passive smoking' really did cause serious health problems it would be right to ban smoking in enclosed public spaces. The point is that it doesn't, and it isn't; the authorities are just banning something because they dislike it and get a thrill out of bossing people.