Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Physics not taught any more?

Jonathan Dimbleby has been granted permission to erect a 12,000KW wind turbine generator in his garden in Devon. This story seems to-day to be widely reported in the media without any correction.
Just a few of these magic machines would solve Anglesey Aluminium's problem and it would not have to close!

Re: Physics not taught any more?

It looks like there's a typo error in that 12,000 KW figure which appears to be quite widely reported. 12,000 KW is 12 MW. 12 KW is a lot more likely. Even the wind turbines out in the countryside that are taller than Nelson's column are only about 2 MW. The biggest wind turbine in production is one in Germany which is 5 MW and is 120 m (394 ft) high.

A wind turbine is a white elephant surrounded by dead birds.

No, I don't think they do teach physics. I visited a school recently where in Indoctrination Class they had pasted up the slogan "Every volt saved is a volt gained."

Journalists and teachers notoriously have had the part of the brain that normally deals with science replaced by a sachet of custard.

Yes indeed. I always remember with a chuckle, some years ago when it was proposed to place electric fences around the pitch in certain foot ball stadia. It was reported all over the media that one club had already erected a 5Volt electric fence for the purpose of preventing pitch invasions, hooliganism at the like. Nobody corrected the technological faux pas.

I saw an example of the poor state of science education last year. This is a Guardian article by somebody called Will Ashley-Cantello who is described as a 'scholar' working for Jonathan Porritt's bogus charity "Forum for the Future". After teaching a class of 13 year-olds at his old school, he encouraged them to write to Sebastian Coe about powering the Olympic stadium by harnessing vibrational energy produced by the crowd.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/may/14/ethicalliving.climatechange

This is one of these ideas that Greenies are quite keen on as it is 'renewable', but it only produces trivial amounts of energy. It can be used to power monitoring instrumentation on structures like bridges where replacing batteries would be awkward. A similar idea which harnessed kinetic energy was used years ago in some wind-up wristwatches called 'automatic watches' which reduced the risk of the watch stopping due to someone forgetting to wind it up. I suppose if you ripped all the seats out of the stadium and replaced them with exercise bikes equipped with dynamos, which spectators were then asked to pedal furiously, you might get some electrical output.