Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Al Gore, Nobel laureate - potential billionaire - admits the science is shifting

I wonder if it is because soot on the poles is not nearly as critical as an albedo change on the equator? and perhaps that a fresh fall of snow will cover it up on the poles?

Re: Al Gore, Nobel laureate - potential billionaire - admits the science is shifting

"I wonder if it is because soot on the poles is not nearly as critical as an albedo change on the equator? and perhaps that a fresh fall of snow will cover it up on the poles?"

I've seen a climate researcher argue something along those lines. (strictly speaking the Himalayas isn't at the equator, it's at the same latitude as the Mediterranean) Details are given in this paper:

http://www.int-res.com/articles/cr2002/20/c020p001.pdf

Kuhle's argument is that Ice Ages have been much more frequent in the last few million years which can't be explained by Earth's orbit variations. He attributes it to geological uplift in the Himalayas in the last few million years and whether you get an Ice Age depends on the extent of the ice sheet in the Himalayas. He thinks a 2.4 million km2 area ice sheet in the Himalayas is equivalent to a 10 million km2 area ice sheet at a much more northern latitude.

If Kuhle is right, the West ought to be paying the Third World to produce more soot, not reduce it.