Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Update from Oz

The Liberals have just gone into melt down over cap and trade:
and meanwhile we discover (reported on WUWT) that the New Zealand Temperature data has been tampered with.
Interestingly (and another Nobel prize sharer) Dr Jim Saligener started this record when he was at the University of East Anglia.
And finally, another petition on the No 10 web site which already has over 1500 signatures.

Fair dinkum Rob,

Andrew Bolt strikes just the right balance in his reporting. His follow up comments, and the comments of his readers are also illuminating: they are refreshingly free of the jingoistic 'dancing in the streets' to be found here up-under.

There is more to be learned here from the antics of the A-W's (Anti-Warmers) than there is about the AW's (Anthropogenic Warmers). The AW's at least have conviction about their capers, albeit nefarious. On the A-W side methinks expressions of glee, outrage, astonishment, and self righteousness, indicate a lack of conviction. Most are just 'fence sitters' who do not have the courage of their own convictions to speak out about the obvious politically fomented skulduggery which has been going on this past 20 years or more. --- I am an A-W through conviction. I have no doubts, so I am not a 'sceptic'. I was in the early days, but when the politicians took over, I became a dedicated Cynic. Is their any other intelligent reaction to the motivations of politico's?

Regards, David (up-under)

P.S. I had a brother who lived in Australia for 40 years, his first names were Osborne Joseph. When he first arrived he introduced himself as 'Ossy', (a common contraction up here). Naturally, most Aussies' heard it as Ozzie', considered that they weren't going to accept another a 'Whingeing Pom' taking the mick', so gave him a very hard time. --- He got his own back though; he just moved from Mel'bn to Sidney, called himself Joe, went walk-about in the bush for a while, started writing satirical poetic prose (which he described as Pom'etry), and published it under the pen name of 'Ozzy Joe'! Some of his titles were 'Tales from the Bushed', 'Tales from the Pushed', and 'Tales of Oz'. --- He did used to brighten up our day, thought he was another Alistair Cooke, (as in 'Letter From America'). We miss him dearly, (as we miss John Daly).

Sorry, my link for the liberal meltdown should have been:

It seems that it isn't the New Zealand data alone that is questioned but we now have indications that the Oz temp data has not been quite upright either.
Again, it is WUWT that has the story.

I note that there are a lot of aerodromes seemingly included as weather stations.
In the US the responsibility for many weather stations, to ensure 24/7 manning, were posted on water treatment plans where temperatures are elevated anyway.
It seems from some of the comments that NZ and OZ stations may suffer similar problems.
The NZ defense of their temperature graph is shaky.

Here is a New Zealand-based "debunking" of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition's recent charges about their local temperature record.

(Is this the defense you are talking about, JMW?)

The NZCSC may have made a couple of mistakes, but the justification given for the example station in this blog post is a beautiful example of the art of junk science (once you get passed the overly long condemnation of the NZCSC's effort).

A thermometer was moved in the 1920s to a point higher above sea level. The CSC may have neglected to mention this. However, instead of using the small discontinuity at this point in the graph as the adjustment, Jim Salinger instead used the difference between this station's readings and one at the lower altitude Wellington Airport (to anyone unfamiliar with the issue, airports are notorious heat islands), whose record began in the 1960s, as his adjustment.

The difference, where before it was only slightly smaller during the move of the weather station, is now enormous. They then translate the graph of readings from the 1920s and earlier downward by this large difference. Lo and behold, you get a pronounced trend in temperature readings upward over the last century.