Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The absence of laughter?

JB's piece today and Rhodri Morgan's retirement(from that expensive talking shop in Cardiff )today, reminded me of the most sensible thing that the man said during his term of office-notably that tourism in Wales would benefit from Global Warming. As you can imagine he was duly roasted and called all sorts of rude names for that comment by the New Age religious maniacs. We still have plenty of those here.I suppose it's some kind of ancient Celtic pre-disposition to superstition still in the DNA?.

Re: The absence of laughter?

I noticed a good example of the humourlessness of Green academics the other day.

Andy Revkin, award-winning environmental journalist with the New York Times and one of the leading proponents of AGW in the media, happened to mention the slightly amusing story where prostitutes in Copenhagen are offering their services for free to COP15 delegates in his blog.

Some climate change researcher called Michael Schlesinger then wrote to him, threatening some sort of boycott against him:

"Andy:
Copenhagen prostitutes?
Climate prostitutes?
Shame on you for this gutter reportage.
This is the second time this week I have written you thereon, the first about giving space in your blog to the Pielkes.
The vibe that I am getting from here, there and everywhere is that your reportage is very worrisome to most climate scientists.
Of course, your blog is your blog.
But, I sense that you are about to experience the 'Big Cutoff' from those of us who believe we can no longer trust you, me included.
Copenhagen prostitutes?
Unbelievable and unacceptable.
What are you doing and why?
Michael"

http://nlt.ashbrook.org/2009/12/climate-scientist-to-revkin-we-can-lo-longer-trust-you-to-carry-water-for-us.php

The above was picked up by some blogger who happens to be included on Schlesinger's e-mail list.

I detect a causality here.
In an earlier article it was claimed that global warming is responsible for an increase in prostitution in the Philippines.
Now we have prostitutes offering freebies for anyone who can produce their warning postcard (I bet they're into their third or fourth reprint by now).
So, are these two stories linked? and as the temperature climbs we will find ourselves knee deep in prostitutes who are so desperate for business they resort to publicity stunts like this.

On the other hand, might it be prostitution that is causing global warming?
I mean, there is a strong correlation between the number of "value added" prostitutes and the "value added" temperature record and I understand that the number of prostitutes on the street on a cold night is always less than on a warm night). However, the number of prostitutes always drops after the temperature drops and not before and by applying the CO2 law of inverse or counter intuitive correlations, the causality is definitely that prostitution causes warming.

Suffering a sense of humour failure is Michael Schlesinger:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MjJlYTBhMzNjNGZhMzI3YjM1MjkyNDg4Y2QzNDJkZmY=

In Milan Kundera's book 'The Joke', the title apparently refers to an innocent joke made by the narrator, which is punished by many years' internal exile in Communist Czechoslovakia. Really, 'The Joke' refers to Communism itself. Powerful, oppressive and murderous as it was, Kundera sees Communism as a colossal, cruel practical joke played by a small elite on the rest of mankind. Eventually, people saw that this joke wasn't funny.

It's the same with the Global Warming tyranny.