Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Randi

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/805-agw-revisited.html

Randi takes a position of neutrality on AGW and is attacked by his friends.

I was disappointed when Randi took the other position after having watched "An Inconvenient Truth".

It appears he has made his own decision anyway.

Re: James Randi

This new fence-sitting position by Randi is quite surprising. He must have been affected by 'Climategate'.

I thought he was pretty firmly stuck in the pro-AGW camp for financial reasons if nothing else. His organisation, the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF), gets a lot of its income from holding conferences. It holds something every year called the Amazing Meeting, of which the last one attracted over a 1000 delegates paying $300 a time, and there is also some sort of annual conference on a cruise liner. A lot of the participants at these conferences are, as I understand it, nerdy badscience zealots with a left-liberal worldview, the type of people who believe that public sector science is as pure as the driven snow. So even by taking up a neutral position, Randi could be irritating a lot of the people who turn up at his JREF conferences.

Re: James Randi

There were quite a few discussions about his "abandonment" of reason.

I suspect, however, that at 80+, the Amazing Randi is not worried about the opinions of his donors so much as being consistent with himself.