Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
View Entire Thread
Re: Plotting Temperature

Another example of CO2 (not) being a wonder energy container.

In the Nevada & Arizona deserts there are many outcrops of rock.

Want to get cool? get in the shade.

It's often sub zero, even late afternoon.

In winter when some places never come out of shade, there are frozen rock pools that never melt, even though the temperature out of the shade is above 100ºF

Oh, I see what you're talking about Brad. Temperature anomaly graphs which take account of the diurnal range are even rarer than the ones with the uncertainty range estimates included. There are some graphs of global maximum temperature and minimum temperature from 1950 to the early 1990s in this 1997 paper which is available free to view on this link:

If you look at Fig 1 of the paper you'll see why climate scientists prefer not to plot this sort of graph - the temperature rise per decade for the maximum temperature is half the rate of the rise of minimum temperature, suggesting that two thirds of global warming is occurring at night. If they plot mean temperature this detail is hidden.

I might as well include this link as well, criticism of the above paper by AGW sceptic Warwick Hughes:

Even those don't show the absolute range of values. They seem to be focussed on just the low temp, high temps, average temps.

I would want to plot all of them on 1 chart. The mid line being the average. The upper line the average of the high temps and the lower the average of the low temps.

The only reason I think this chart is necessary is to get the idea of the forest back into the researchers heads.

The ability of scientist to focus on the 7th digit is admirable at some level. Recognizing that the 1 and 2nd digit don't care is much more important.