Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lord Oxburgh

I don't see any connection to Big Oil--no conflict of interest there.
/sarcasm off

Jim

The Register IT online news website has found another Green interest that Oxburgh has which hasn't been declared. Oxburgh turns out to also be a director of an organisation called GLOBE, the Global Legislators Organisation for a Balanced Environment.

globe

There's also a link between GLOBE and the MP expenses scandal. Two of the MPs facing criminal charges over the expenses scandal, Elliott Morley and David Chaytor, hold positions with GLOBE, Morley as the worldwide secretary and Chaytor the British branch secretary.

I thought I'd update this thread to point out that the review by Oxburgh's panel has now finished, and it concludes as might be anticipated that there has been no scientific malpractice by CRU.

link

So that only took about three weeks in total from the announcement of the chairman. You'd think they might have spun the review out to last at least a couple of months just to make it look as though some serious deliberation was going on. But I suppose Oxburgh needs to get back to running his Green business interests.

CRU seem to have been given a slight rap over the knuckles for not appearing to employ or work with professional statisticians, but this isn't interpreted as malpractice.