Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To JB

I don't think anyone here will argue with the idea of using the sun to do anything. In the end it is the economics and fundamental mechanics that make me grimace.

Subsidies shift the Smithsonian Curves (Adam Smith that is) in directions that cause efficiencies not to be found.

Agree in spirit, but what's the point of generating (hideously inefficiently) electricity to convert into heat?
What's wanted is a resonably benign salt with nice high latent heat and a melting point of around 85º (higher would pose problems with working fluids). Stick a couple of cubic yards in the cellar with LOTS of insulation and heat it from thermal panels (with, if necessary, heat pumps run off solar electricity). Most of the bits are off the shelf, so it might work OK in cases like my flat which is all-electric. Only trouble is, I haven't got a cellar!

-- Regarding the Grid controlling itself

Forrest Whitaker narrates a commercial for IBM discussing exactly my supposition above about the power lines acting as data communication lines and making the environmentally safe power options viable.

He conveniently leaves out the need for the cutoff switch the the grid needs to make the power control system work. i.e. the remotely operated switch which shuts off your AC when you need it.