Return to Website

Number Watch Web Forum

This forum is about wrong numbers in science, politics and the media. It respects good science and good English.

Number Watch Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reverse Alchemy

Ah yes. I recall a female academic, ( I wish I had noted her name ), from Imperial College, explaining to a BBC climate science documentary presenter a few years ago, about the 'hockey stick' graph showing how the world had been warming in recent years.

All this has dragged down Imperial's rating to one place below the University of Nether Wallop. What enormous humiliation is further to come IC's way?

Was it Joanna D Haigh?

It's too long ago to remember. Is she a noted supporter of the AGW theory?

I read the paper with interest (there are still a few issues to go on my non-renewed subscription), and no-where does it give any evidence of the particular climate change alleged to have caused the sudden change in 2001. One might have expected temperature or rainfall or any other charts plotting a physical change in the environment, but all there is is a couple of references to IPCC FAR and Karl & Trenberth's 2003 paper with many other ecological (there real, hard sums, science, not the pop girlie fluffy-bunny stuff) papers stating the bleedin' obvious that beasties do change as their environment does.
It's particularly curious that the start of the population explosion was in 2001, just after the most recent warming trend ended. In short, it looks like a perfectly reasonable paper in the field of ecology which has had to shove in as mny references to AGW as possible to get funding.

Oh the media is groaning with such claims. I heard a wildlife 'expert' interviewed on Radio4 a few months back, ascribing to AGW the decline of species in this country which are currently in decline including the corn bunting.

Now I havn't heard a corn bunting since 1996, but I went to Spain on business last March. Whilst I laboured deep in the countyside of central Spain, (where summer temperatures commonly reach 40 deg in the daytime) what do I hear and see? More corn buntings than you could shake a stick at. If they're dying out in Britain due to rise in temperatures...................